cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trim on raid 0 with x79?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Various tech sites such as Anandtech have an article up about the fact that with the newest RST software that Raid 0 and trim is supported.

Is this available for X79? The X79 of course uses RSTe which has a different version number to the normal RST and the articles do not mention anything about X79 at all

74 REPLIES 74

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i know...i love my x79 system, and i've been an avid ssd raid0 user for the last 3 years. oh the angst!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is so frustrating now !

im too on the x79 platform with my sammy 830s in raid. When / if / how / will we be getting raid trim support for this platform.Only he in the highest place knows !

We pay the biggest bucks for our systems and have to take a back seat ! I am now seeing performance issues in raid. I have now broke it twice to reset my SSDs to pull back the speed.

We maybe not the biggest users of everyday systems , but we sure are some of the biggest contributors in performance rigs in terms of general input to the OEMs.

thx

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

At least they have said it is coming soon although soon in Intel time might not be how you might define "soon". Look on the bright side, if there are any bugs in the RST RAID0 trim implementation they can hopefully be addressed in the RSTe support when it comes.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good news everyone (with older chipsets)! Though, the article here is older but trusted site ---> http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-rapid-storage-technology-roadmap-windows-8-ssd-raid-trim-and-many-... http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-rapid-storage-technology-roadmap-windows-8-ssd-raid-trim-and-many-... . In my understanding of the article think, TRIM RAID will work on older chipsets like 6-series chipsets (Z68, X79) if we got the RAID OROM v11.6. October 26, 2012 is the general availability of Windows 8, so we (older chipsets) still have a month to wait for it. That's only my opinion

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well I think we are finally getting there then! I'd still like to leave this open until the first person gets X79 and trim working in Raid 0 though.

The post by VR-Zone is very welcome and also interesting, will the raid bios (option rom) require an upgrade to allow this feature? If so I suspect a lot of older 3,4,5 series owners will still be left in the dark as the board manufacturers won't bother to update the bios. This line makes is sound like they may have to:

"For example, all chipsets are being updated to support "UEFI pre-OS Solution", one of primary requirements for Windows 8"

I'm still holding my breath, if my Asus P9X79 Pro doesn't get updated I'm going to be very angry!