cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trim on raid 0 with x79?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Various tech sites such as Anandtech have an article up about the fact that with the newest RST software that Raid 0 and trim is supported.

Is this available for X79? The X79 of course uses RSTe which has a different version number to the normal RST and the articles do not mention anything about X79 at all

74 REPLIES 74

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

asus has already updated many models with the required uefi stuff, i believe, but a new orom? i think we will be modding our bios (x79 users), at least we asus users.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

that would be a shame. Still, the gigabyte X79S-UP5 is very appealing, I might get one of those if it gets the update and the Asus board doesn't

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

the article http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-rapid-storage-technology-roadmap-windows-8-ssd-raid-trim-and-many-... http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-rapid-storage-technology-roadmap-windows-8-ssd-raid-trim-and-many-... is right 11.6.x.xxxx IRST driver out now, we need to wait for the 11.6.0.1702 RAID OROM for the TRIM to work on older chipsets. Thanks Intel.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Assuming this is true, that pre-7 series Intel chipsets will have TRIM in RAID 0 with the appropriate version of IRST and OROM, how do we know the various mother board manufactures will have BIOS updates to update the OROM on older boards? Assuming that it would work, the OROM is the main problem, IMO.

My ASUS X58/ICH10R board was recently removed from the list of X58 boards that ASUS markets, along with its information and download page. There is a half hidden support page for this board that had a recent BIOS update for a VT-d issue, but prior to that the last BIOS revision was a year earlier. The latest Intel SATA driver available there is Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver V8.9.0.1023 for Windows, posted there in September, 2009.

I hope we will see TRIM in RAID 0 support for 6 series chipsets, but for anything earlier, I won't hold my breath. Would I be surprised if most mother board manufactures do not provide this for pre-6 series chipset boards? Nope, given my example above.

Also, that VR-Zone article is old, and half of the "facts" that were floating around about TRIM in RAID 0 turned out to be false, as many of us now know. The only thing I'm waiting for is the truth and reality, whatever that turns out to be.

DZand
Contributor III

parsec schrieb:

Assuming this is true, that pre-7 series Intel chipsets will have TRIM in RAID 0 with the appropriate version of IRST and OROM, how do we know the various mother board manufactures will have BIOS updates to update the OROM on older boards? Assuming that it would work, the OROM is the main problem, IMO.

It is not a big problem to update the Intel RAID OROM yourself. And there are guides available about how to do it.

Regards

Fernando