cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update firmware on new SSD using current computer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have 2 new Intel 160Gb SSD's that I will be using when I build my new computer in a few weeks. My current PC has 2 WD raptors set up in a raid 0 array.

I want to update the firmware on these SSD's BEFORE I install them in my upcoming build. If I plug them into my existing computer for the new firmware, I know that I need to disable the RAID and use AHCI. When I'm done with the update and set the PC back to RAID, will anything be messed up? Also, does it matter what SATA port I plug the SSD's into for the firmware update?

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

UPDATE: My current motherboard is an EVGA 680i SLI. I can't seem to find where at in the BIOS I should set the SATA controller to AHCI. Can anyone help?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No one can help me with this?

DZand
Contributor III

acerzr2 schrieb:

I have 2 new Intel 160Gb SSD's that I will be using when I build my new computer in a few weeks. My current PC has 2 WD raptors set up in a raid 0 array.

I want to update the firmware on these SSD's BEFORE I install them in my upcoming build. If I plug them into my existing computer for the new firmware, I know that I need to disable the RAID and use AHCI. When I'm done with the update and set the PC back to RAID, will anything be messed up? Also, does it matter what SATA port I plug the SSD's into for the firmware update?

1. If you don't do a mistake, nothing will be messed up regarding your current system. Nevertheless you shouls do a backup of your important data.

2. You should connect your SSD's with the first 2 SATA ports of your mainboard, if you want to update the firmware. Otherwise it is possible, that the firmware installer will not detect your Intel SSD's.

3. The best preparation for a firmware update is to set the SATA Controllers, where your SSD's are connected, to "IDE" mode.