cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using HDD Password for FDE with 320-series SSD - what happens with my data?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

thanks for all the information given in the "/message/130349# 130349 Intel 320-series SSD and FDE (Full Disk Encryption) questions..." thread - but I'm hanging at some question:

If I've installed my OS on a 320 without HDD-Pass all data is encrypted, ok. Now I want to enable a password. Is it possible to enable the HDD-Pass in this situation without loosing all data? afaik I'm not able to CHANGE the HDD-Pass later on, but can i SET it without loosing data?

If I want to CHANGE it later on, in my understanding I've to do a full backup, secure erase the device and set a new pass, am I right?

I imagine, the same is true if I want to DISABLE the pass?

What happens, if I enable the pass and start hanging in a reboot loop as somenone wrote here? Same answers as the two questions above?

I read about the different kind (master, user or so) kinds of passes. In my Bios there's onle one pass per HDD. Does this have any security impact?

How does the process of secure erasing and deleting the existing HDD-Pass (I don't mean the aes-keys, I've understood this process) work (aim: getting a "factory state" ssd without hdd-pass)? Giving the right pass in the bios, booting from a different drive, doing secure erase with intel ssd toolbox? What is the thing with disconnecting and connecting the drive (secure lock?), is this needed? How can I enable/disable the "secure erase lock" (my words)?

Very specfic question: Does anyone now if HDD-pass works fine with a dell T3500 workstation (Intel ICH10R, possibility to set HDD-Pass in bios exists for every drive)?

I'm really happy for any hint!

Thanks,

marte

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

no one?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I wanna know this too.

1) Can you set a password without losing data?

2) Do you lose data if you change or remove the password?

Someone from Intel please reply.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

BUMP.