cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vaio z laptop freeze with intel ssd when power source is changed from battery to AC power

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am using a Vaio Laptop Z690. it came with 160gb hdd and i swapped it with 160 G2 intel ssd.

the lockup/ freeze only happens when the laptop is used on battery for over 10~15mins and reconnected to AC.

I tried three different OS's Windows 7, Windows server 2008 R2, windows vista. Same issues.

To make sure it is not the drivers installed after the fresh OS installation, I tried the changing power source with and without the necessary drivers.

It happened when necessary drivers are installed and it still happened when no driver is installed.. right after the first boot of the OS.

Morevore, to verify it is not related to power options, i tried the experiment with performance and balanced option.

i turned C-states off in the BIOS and reset the bios everytime with a fresh os installation.

It does not happen all the time but may be 3 or 4 out of 10 times... and it doesn't happen when the duration of use on the batter is short or instant.

I called technical support to arrange a repair on this specific matter or issue.

B/C it might avoid the manufacturer warranty, I swapped the hdd back. Since then I am trying to record this freezing issue using my iphone...

I got a couple videos that show it is frozen with SSD. However, I did the same experiment for 5 times now... and it doesn't freeze with HDD.

anys guesses for what could have caused this or why this keeps happening?

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This sounds like a strange issue.

Based on your comment "the lockup/ freeze only happens when the laptop is used on battery for over 10~15mins and reconnected to AC", it sounds like some sort of power-management issue. The fact that a different OS did not modulate the issue is also interesting and leads towards the hardware being the problem.

What happens if you are using the laptop on battery, then hibernate, then connect AC-power, then wake from hibernate. Does that modulate the problematic behavior?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If i do the method u described, it works...

When C-states option is disabled in bios and C-4, C-6 are enabled.. the symptom is much worse..

when I disable c-states, c-4, c-6, then. the problem hardly occurs...

any thoughts?????????

thanks for your response

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not familiar with the power options you mentioned.

Many PC enthusiast websites advise readers to use Windows' advanced power management options and disable the BIOS power management features, since sometimes the two systems conflict with each other. That may explain the behavior you are seeing.

One more experiment:

What happens if you use laptop on battery, go into stand-by mode, connect AC-power, wake from stand-by mode?

Good luck with the troubleshooting...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

One more experiment:

What happens if you use laptop on battery, go into stand-by mode, connect AC-power, wake from stand-by mode?

this seems to work without any random freezing.

i wish you can give me better insight on the conflict between bios and windows's power management.

Thanks for your help n ur knowledge