cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's the correct way to erase a ssd pro 2500 drive?

BBrad5
New Contributor

I have a new Pc (mini) with the wrong OS software.

I want to erase the drive and load a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

What's the best way to erase a SSD drive with minimal wear?

Thanks,

Brad

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

bfordz,

Paramountain has a point. This procedure works better when the SSD is connected via SATA.If the drive is connected via USB it may or may not work, however, you must bear in mind that on Windows*7 and later versions the ATA security commands are blocked by the OS. Please be advised it may cause a security freeze lock that prevent a secure erase from running.Please check this advisory as it may contain information that is right up your alley regarding this procedure: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/000006198.html Running a Low-Level Format on the Intel® Solid State Drives

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

bfordz,

It has been a while since you last interacted with us. We would like to know if the infromation we sent you helped clarifying your doubts. Please let us know a soon as possible.

BBrad5
New Contributor

Sorry, it got real busy here.

I didn't get the chance to install it in another machine as a second drive to be able to erase the drive.

I did however order the correct restore discs from the OEM and just did a restore from the discs. However that erased the ssd drive I don't know but I now have an operational Pc with the correct OS installed.

Thank you all for your comments and reassurance as to why the "external USB setup" wasn't working.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

bfordz,

Thank you very much for taking a little bit of your precious time and letting us know that all is working according to your expectation. Should you observe anything different from what is expected, please don't hesitate to contact us. We will be more than glad to assist you.