cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when SFF 8639 aka U.2 cables will be available on Market

fbayi
New Contributor II

Intel selling p3700/ p3600 / p3500 series 2.5" form factor SSD / NVMe drives.. but there is a problem here although intel 750 series has sff 8639 cables in their boxes , other series has no cables .. and Intel explain the situation because of Enterprise systems has no need.. but is it forbidden to use these high-end ssd 's other than enterprise systems..

first .. why these SSD's has no cable on their boxes

second.. why these U.2 / SFF 8639 cables are not available on market / online stores..

third .. when these cables will be available..

22 REPLIES 22

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello eczanet,

These cables are not available separately for the time being and we do not have any information if they will be available on the market any time soon. Please bear in mind that the Intel® SSD Data Center Family such as the Intel® SSD DC P3500, Intel® SSD DC P3600, Intel® SSD DC P3700 were designed to work with HBA ( Host Bus Adapter). The cable that comes with the 750 would actually work with the SFF-8639 model of the Intel® SSD DC P3500, Intel® SSD DC P3600, Intel® SSD DC P3700.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

can you give us few links to that HBA?

i also bought P3700 and was surprised that it comes w/o any cables.

i know other people are buying 750 one only to get that cable. don't you think that's insane? or that was your main marketing idea?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

great! thanks.

guess i'd give a try the first one.

the only few things i don't really like is that ssd's heatsink will get lower airflow, and i should also use a riser to make all that fit into 1U case.