cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when SFF 8639 aka U.2 cables will be available on Market

fbayi
New Contributor II

Intel selling p3700/ p3600 / p3500 series 2.5" form factor SSD / NVMe drives.. but there is a problem here although intel 750 series has sff 8639 cables in their boxes , other series has no cables .. and Intel explain the situation because of Enterprise systems has no need.. but is it forbidden to use these high-end ssd 's other than enterprise systems..

first .. why these SSD's has no cable on their boxes

second.. why these U.2 / SFF 8639 cables are not available on market / online stores..

third .. when these cables will be available..

22 REPLIES 22

fbayi
New Contributor II

not that bad.. i happy with that

test system

funtin nvme pci-e adapter with intel p3700 2tb 2.5" sff

2x xeon e5 2666

asus z10pe-d16 ws

4x16GB crucial ddr4 2133mhz ecc 64gb kit

nvidia titan x

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

so you got such speeds using that Funtin adapter from amazon and it actually worth the money?

also, since you have the hottest 2tb version of p3700, what's with the heat?

i assume ssd heatsink is very close to the adapter and there's a problem with airflow.

this may become a problem?

PMitc1
New Contributor

Hello Jonathan, Many thanks for all your help here.

You've probably heard that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Lots of Enthusiasts are stumbling on the differences between

the 8b/10b "legacy frame" and the 128b/130b "jumbo frame"

(my choice of nomenclature / not necessarily industry standard).

It would help a lot of you could prepare a simple graphic

comparing the two frame types. We did that here

in our presentation to the Storage Developer Conference:

http://supremelaw.org/patents/BayRAMFive/SATA-IV.Presentation.pdf http://supremelaw.org/patents/BayRAMFive/SATA-IV.Presentation.pdf

(see Page 7).

I believe PC users generally understand that

a byte requires 8 bits. It's the START and STOP bits that

are confusing people. A more detailed graphic could

also illustrate the 128b/132b "jumbo frame" adopted

in the USB 3.1 specification. A good well designed graphic

will help PC users understand how PCIe 4.0 will double

raw bandwidth, using the same 128b/130b jumbo frame.

Keep up the good work!

MRFS

JPitt5
New Contributor

Is the cable now available from Intel? There has been several months since the last update and all Asus and MSI boards have supported this device since that time using the M2 adapter. I would hope Intel have provided for their customers in this time.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

This request is still under consideration, however, the cable is not available separately from Intel at this time. Currently, we are not able to confirm if this will change in the future.

The U.2 interface is meant to be used with the Intel® SSD 750 Series (consumer SSD's). Even though it may be possible to find 3rd party cables on the market, these are not tested/validated as a supported configuration for Intel NVMe* Data Center SSD's.

Please check this new document that specifies what ships with the different models of Intel® PCIe NVMe drives:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-035797.htm Intel® High Performance Solid-State Drive — What Ships with Intel® SSD DC P3xxx Series and Intel® SSD 750 Series