Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will 750 series solve my speed (hesitation, stutters across screen) issues

RWels
New Contributor

ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS, Dual XEON E5-2670 SROH8,

64GB DDR3L-1866 UDIMM 1.35v CL13,

ZOTAC GT730 Video cards.

Current SSD STATA III OCZ Deneva 2R Series: Read 550MBps Write 500MBps, 4KB Read up to 55,000 IOPS 4KB Write up to 80,000 IOPS.

Running two Trading Programs across 8 Monitors, 2D ONLY! CPU Utilization 5-6% 2.11 GHz, Memory In use: 18.3, Available 45.5. Not much "stress" or "lack" in Performance Details Task Manager. Windows 8.1Professional.

Program Charts stutter across the screens, do not move quickly and smooth; Order task responds slow with drop down boxes/tabs taking time to open and adjust in order to enter/exit trades.

Over all this systems seems to respond just as fast/slow as a QUAD Core. I was expecting more.

All issues seem to point to the need of a PCIe 3.0 SSD (Intel 750 series 400GB).

How can I tell this will be the Performance Enhancer that will solve my issues? As always, dropping $350-$700 on an unproven "solution" is frustrating if it does not fix the problem.

Thank you for your Professional Technical feedback.

RL Welsh

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello WSBuilt2016,

Thank you for your question and your interest in our product.

Swapping your current SATA SSD for an Intel® SSD 750 Series will definitely help your system boot and work faster. However, I'm not entirely convinced that your current drive is entirely to blame. This actually sounds a lot more like a graphics issue.

Before going out and purchasing a new drive, please make sure that your graphics cards are properly set up and using the latest drivers available. Using an inbox or outdated driver could possibly cause problems like the ones you've mentioned. If you're already using the latest graphics drivers, you could also try a previously released or a beta version.

A simple way to test this theory will be to disable all animations by switching your Visual Effects settings over to best performance:

- Press Windows* Key + R > In the Run box, type "sysdm.cpl" > Press OK > Switch to the Advanced tab > Under Performance, click settings > Under Visual Effects, change to "Adjust for best performance" (you can return this to "best appearance" later) > Press OK and then OK again.

Even though your system will look much less appealing, this will take some stress of your GPU. We don't expect this to be a permanent fix, but if your windows and drop-down menus behave properly now, then we may have found the culprit.

As an additional step you could run http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm memtest86+ to make sure your RAM isn't faulty. You could also make sure your CPUs aren't overheating. Although rare, this could happen even under low usage if the heat sink isn't properly installed.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

All in all, we do hope you purchase that new 750 Series SSD. But even if you don't, we hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

RWels
New Contributor

Thank you for Suggestion. I updated Drivers, Changed Performance settings, and no difference. I understand video considerations. I will test memory today. I really do not care about boot speed. It is just about response time to clicking on a drop-down box and executing a trade. Yes, it may be software. But the requirements for PC are very basic. This machine should be well above the Performance requirements.

My last test will be to load programs on a second SSD and see if they run faster. It was suggest One SSD for Operating System and Second for programs. This will still be SATA III.

The only consideration after this is PCIe SSD for programs, and existing SSD for Operating System.

I am really not sure which configuration would change performance for the best; in other words: OS on PCIe or on SSD Sata III ? -vs- Programs on PCIe and OS on second SSD SATA III.

The Trading software must run as fast as possible with no stutters, hesitation, latency etc. This is a very clean and lean build, made to operate two programs at the same time. Data streaming in on cable line, good speed. Nothing else running. Not connected to network.

Thanks again!

RL Welsh

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello WSBuilt2016,

This is a deceptively simple problem. But finding the culprit here may take quite a bit of work and testing.My main suggestion will be to approach the process of identifying your bottleneck in a serial manner. Meaning you should only make one change at a time in order to figure out what the true cause is.It's hard to say that your current drive is the problem because of two main reasons. One, your SSD is not an specifically slow one, it actually would rank fairly well if compared to most current SATA SSDs. Also, what you're doing doesn't seem to be particularly focused on storage, but rather on your GPU or RAM.Switching to the 750 Series should increase your overall system performance, as the comparizon with your current drive is quite marked:Your current SATA SSD:- Sequential Read/Write: 550/500 MB/s- Random Read/Write 55,000/80,000 IOPSIntel® SSD 750 Series (400GB): - Sequential Read/Write: 2,200/900 MB/s- Random Read/Write: 430,000/230,000 IOPSOpening programs, moving files, OS processes, etc, should all show the difference. However, if this is not where your bottleneck is located, your issue won't be resolved.It will also be important to check with your motherboard manufacturer to ensure that NVMe* storage solutions are supported. I reviewed your motherboard specifications and was unable to locate any information refering to this, as only SATA is ever mentioned.- https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/specifications/ ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS* Specifications.- https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/HelpDesk_QVL/ ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS* Memory/Device Support.NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.This being said, have you tested your computer with only one of the graphics cards installed? If so, does the stuttering still present itself? I don't mean to fixate on this, as I'm aware you're not doing any graphic intensive work, but the GT730s are a bit on the lower end of the spectrum, compared to all your other components. However, that is not my area of expertise.Best regards,Carlos A.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello WSBuilt2016,

We're following up on your thread since we have not heard back from you.We hope that you were able to resolve your issue, or at least pinpoint your problem. If you need further assistance, please let us know. Best regards,Carlos A.