cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will intel toolbox help ssd degradation since my p35 chipset does not support trim?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I want to by a intel 320 ssd but i am afraid of performance degradation over time since my asus p5k motherboark does not support rst drives so then it does not support trim. Will the intel toolbox be enough to ensure a nice performance over time?

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Guest wrote:

here is what sus told me: The TRIM feature is not supported on this motherboard, since for it to be supported, we need the same chipset has the capability RST (Rapid Storage Technology) in the case and motherboard with the old feature, MST (Matrix Storage Technology) is not can use the TRIM feature. P5K motherboard has no such resources, since the chipset is the P35 (3 family of chipsets from Intel) and ICH9 Southbridge.

Asus Technical Support has no idea what they're talking about; not hearsay, fact. They're spewing out buzzwords and acronyms as if they understand the technology. They don't. The folks at Asus who engineered the system board, however, probably do. 😉

TRIM is a data management command implemented in the ATA command specification; the motherboard and chipset have nothing to do with whether or not a drive supports TRIM. TRIM requires that a list of LBAs ("blocks on a disk") be provided to it via the OS or chipset driver; the command effectively tells the underlying disk "these LBAs don't have data in them that I care about any longer, you can consider them unused". The ICH9 southbridge (which is what handles your SATA ports) does not control this.

Regarding Intel SSD Toolbox and the "Intel SSD Optimizer" feature -- you probably won't be able to use this utility if you're using the older Intel Matrix Storage Technology drivers OR if your drive is part of a RAID array. But it should work if you're using the newer Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers OR if you're using Microsoft's native ATA/SATA drivers (e.g. the ones which come with the OS). AHCI plays no role with regards to this.

I'd like Intel to explain to me, however, how the Intel SSD Optimizer actually works. The software itself doesn't have any way of knowing what underlying LBAs are still in use/not in use by the filesystem (that's something the OS or the RST driver would have to track), so -- at least on my XP machine -- I'm often curious what the feature truly does. I have a feeling it induces garbage collection in the FTL on the drive, which is not the same thing as TRIM, but is way better than nothing.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've noticed that a manual TRIM via the Toolbox generates a series of temp files that fill unused capacity on the drive. The temp files are then deleted, presumably leaving the unused capacity in a fresh state.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

HERE IS MY MOTHERBOARD CONTROLER

I/O Controller:

Intel(R) 82801IB Intel(R) I/O Controller Hub (ICH9B) SATA Controller found in IDE mode

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think then I can get now the ssd and that the trim command will work with Certainly with the windows 7 original drives and will ensure performance over time regardless of my sata controller.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks everyone for helping.