cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write&read-back iops for DC S3500

SStev8
New Contributor

I am testing my DC S3500 SSD. I found the write iops and read iops are all OK.

AS SSD:

4K bytes read 7K iops,

4K bytes write: 15K iops

512 bytes read 18K iops

512 bytes write 18K iops

Mixed read /write still alright:

Diskspd:

random 4k bytes 50% read, 50% write: 6k iops.

But when I tried write & read-back, i.e. random write but immediate read back from same position, I got terrible figure:

random 4k bytes write then read-back: 1000 iops only.

Is there anything wrong for write&read-back?

Regards

Steve

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

steveau,

According to this documentation: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3500-spec... Intel® Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series - Product Specification the advertised performance is tested with 4K 8K only which matches what you have informed if you meant to write 70.000 IOPS for 4K read.

The Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series are not tested with the type of test that you have mention, therefore, we don't have a point of comparison for that.

However, this type of test is expected to be slower. We advise you to do the test based on the specification noted in the document above.

Best regards,

Aleki

SStev8
New Contributor

Thank you Aleki.

I did a little more profiling for the read-back after write. Here's what I got:

2000 write N read-back

Finished in- 4,019,333 micro seconds

write: 253,671 (microseconds)

read:3,764,736 (microseconds)

Reading is about 15 times slow than writing if it is a read-back.

My question is, isn't there an internal cache that the reading should be returned immediately?

Regards

Steve

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

steveau,

The only tests performed on this drive is the one advertised on the online documentation we have sent you in our previous post. We don't have read/write back tests performed on the drive. Is there any particular reason you're doing the test in this way?Best regards,Aleki

SStev8
New Contributor

HI, Aleki,

My industry requires transactional data storage, like database does. Thus a read-back verification is ideal. I guess SSD itself has some kind of verification inside the box. But we still love to see an explicit read-back verification if possible.

Does Intel has some documents or presentation how the data integrity is done or data error is monitored? Thanks.

Regards

Steve