Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

14.2.0.[1]0 - ProSet contains no driver (or lacking inf) for 4965AGN, which creates incompatibilities.

idata
Employee

When attempting to install on my x64 Win7 laptop, the 14.2.0.[1]0 ProSet software and driver bundle seems to be missing the inf for the 4956AGN chipset, although it's stated to be for this hardware.

The result is, that the ProSet software installs and leaves whichever driver you had installed previously. This can cause varying incompatibilities between the two.

The alternative standalone driver-only package simply doesn't install, and choosing the "let me choose from a list of drivers" option shows that the 4965AGN is not listed.

I tried removing the 13.x driver that it kept from the previous package installation but, upon attempting the 14.x package install again, Windows simply reverted to the 12.x driver which it pulled from its own driver store.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

I'd like to add that I've now used the Intel Driver Update Utility, which diagnosed that my driver was 12.x and pointed me to the same package I'd already downloaded; which I did, and attempted to install, with exactly the same results - the software installs yet not the driver.

There are no errors or indication of this except later, when the incompatibility between the 14.x software and 12.x driver (which remains; installed by Windows) prevents connection to profiles.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Confirmed. I'll also add that forcibly selecting the inf gives a hardware list of 5000 series chips and newer. Selecting the closest one (5100AGN) causes blue screen.

I referrenced this thread here: /message/144681 http://communities.intel.com/message/144681

idata
Employee

Thanks.

I came with issues to resolve and saw that others also had issues, yet no-one had flagged that this could be the root cause of all these recent problem. Hence my post.

Thanks for trying to help others.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having this same issue, and am having no luck finding a work around. It does appear that there is no inf included in the installation package for the 14.2 update. This card came with my xps laptop. I am not surprised that Intel has decided not to do anything about this issue, but I am wondering if they would have a fix for someone who had this card on say a desktop or a self built laptop. What is the most irritating to me about this situation is that when you run the automated driver check from their site, it says that there is a new driver available for the card, but what it fails to mention is that there is no driver. And the PROSet gives an incompatibility issue every time you open it, even though the program itself runs fine with no other issues. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure if Dell was asked, they would say that the only version of the driver that is compatible is the one on their support pages dated 2009. Rediculous... I can say that I probably would not buy an Intel card by itself if this is the type of support given. We did still pay for the cards one way or another...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why not just use the previous release?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22Intel+Wireless+WiFi+Link+4965AGN+13.5.0%22# http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22Intel+Wireless+WiFi+Link+4965AGN+13.5.0%22#

Edit: I noticed that a few more weeks have gone by, no one from intel has corrected the error, nor acknowledged the issue.

Good job guys!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am again, now.

I was, before they screwed me over without acknowledgement.

Though, your answer doesn't address the point.

I don't like my time wasted, my computer operations screwed with and incompetence without acknowledgement or apology.

I know you know that.

0 Kudos