Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

17.1.0 wifi adapter disabled after sleep

GDuru
Novice

Installed 17.1.0 driver couple of days ago. Every time my laptop comes out of sleep the wifi adapter is not present in Network &Sharing center. I have to go to device manager where the adapter has a yellow sign saying it doesn't work correctly and windows disabled it. If I enable the device, it works fine until the next time it goes to sleep.

Reverting back to 17.0.6 driver fixed the problem.

Lenovo U430 Touch, Win 8.1, 7260 Wireless-N

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We need to confirm with some of you if the issue occurs while "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is disabled or enabled. This setting may be causing the opposite effect.

Kindly provide the wireless driver version and if any issue is found with the adapter in device manager after sleep.

0 Kudos
BD7
Beginner

I was running 16.1.5.2 for a while (read on a forum that it was stable), but got a BSOD the other day (which I traced to netwew02.sys - the intel wifi driver). Now running 16.5.3.6 ("important" Windows Update that I finally installed), and so far it's been working fine, and I'm getting good speeds. Note that I am in a uni dorm, and most APs here are 802.11n (although we have a few 802.11ac ones in places). The card seems to be using 5GHz primarily around here (which is a necessity due to 2.4GHz being full of interference in this environment). I have "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" disabled - not sure about this driver revision, but at least on others, I found myself getting far lower speeds with it enabled - think 20-30mbps on a speedtest vs 100-180 (varies by drive revision), whereas my wifi link 5100 consistently gets around 100mbps here.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Thinkpad t440s, 7260AC.

0 Kudos
TKIss
Beginner

Hi Joe,

I've got the same issue. I currently running 17.0.5.8 because the latest 17.1 shows " Windows detected a problem with the wireless adapter and shut it down. Error 43" after wake up from sleep.

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is disabled on my machine.

Laptop spec:

Windows 7 64bit

Dell XPS 15-9530

Driver: 17.0.5.8

0 Kudos
BD7
Beginner

My suspicion is that 17.x has more power saving features, given that it has A-UPSD in the settings, and 16.x doesn't. And with these things, it seems like the more power saving features you have, the more failure points you get. At any rate, 16.5.3.6 has worked better for me than 17.x has.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

If you would like to use 17.1.0 please enable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and let me know about the results.

0 Kudos
JAker
Beginner

I've just been handed a user's Dell XPS12 with this issue. Adapter not seen in Network Connections. Disabled by Windows, error 43. "The miniport has failed a power transition to operational power" in System Event Viewer.

Driver 16.8.0.6

Advanced Power Setting for On battery: Maximum Power Saving

Shutdown, unplug/plugin, boot -- did not resolve issue. Disable/enable adapter did return adapter to function.

He's had it for a couple of months, and apparently this is the first time it happened. So far from this thread, it's not clear whether best to upgrade driver, bios, or downgrade power saving, or combination thereof. Looking forward to your results/analysis joe_intel!

0 Kudos
BMcDo4
Beginner

I recently had to uninstall the ProSet Wireless Software because it was consuming 17% of my CPU. When I did that, it rolled back my drivers to the original Microsoft drivers which I think is what you have. I didn't notice until I couldn't connect to my AC router and my max link connection was 54Mbps. I then installed the 17.1 drivers only and now have the same problem where the adapter is not present. I have to go into the device manager and enable/disable from there.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

This issue happens with version 17.1.0 when the aforementioned option is disabled; however, older versions are not expected to experience it regardless the status of the setting. I suggest you uninstalling and re-installing the driver.

CSicu
Beginner

I managed to resolve my issue of the adapter not working after being woken up from sleep. I had to disable fast start-up in my power settings on Windows 8.1, running drivers 17.1.0 from the intel website. My wireless networking card is the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 and after disabling fast start-up I put my laptop to sleep several times and woke up my machine and the network adapter reconnected just fine on my 5g network and my 2.4g network.

UPDATE

So after further testing settings I found out that it wasn't the fast start-up option that messes with my network adapter, but it was the setting under Power Management - Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power. When I had unchecked this box and put my laptop to sleep the adapter had issues when woken up, I have to leave the box checked in order for the adapter to properly reconnect from sleep.

RArti
Beginner

Wow thanks, i just rolled back my driver and its working perfectly now, i think the 17.1.17 driver had issues, so i just rolled it back to 17.0.5.8

0 Kudos