Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

21.60.2 Wi-Fi Driver Crashes the Access Point

kathampy
New Contributor I

Since upgrading to the 21.60.2 Wi-Fi driver for my AX200, my PC periodically disconnects from the SSID and crashes the entire access point, disconnecting everyone from the network. Downgrading to the previous driver fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

kathampy, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance to this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

What is the model of the Access Point?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

>What is the model of the motherboard?

MSI X299 Creation

>What is the model of the Access Point?

Zyxel Armor Z2

>Is this a new computer?

No

>Was it working fine before?

Yes, on the 21.50.1 driver.

>Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Upgraded Intel AX200 Wi-Fi driver to 21.60.2.

>The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Purchased separately.

>Which Windows* version are you using?

Windows 10 x64 1909

>Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Home

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello kathampy, Thank you very much for providing those details.

We recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in MSI's web site and the Intel® Generic Wireless version available in their web site is 21.60.1.0, please test that driver and let us know the results:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X299-CREATION#down-driver&Win10%2064

In the following link, you will find the Intel® Wireless advanced settings:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

If the problem is still present after installing the driver provided by MSI, we can try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Please make sure the "Wireless Mode" is set to 802.11ax, since the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 works with that mode.
  • Some other customers have reported that by disabling the 802.11R (Fast transition feature) also fix the problem for some of them, please test that configuration.
  • For testing purposes, change the channel width from "Auto" to "20MHz" and let us know if the behavior is the same.
  • Test the Wireless connection on both bands, 5GHz and 2.4GHz.
  • Disconnect any other Wireless devices that are connected to that AP, and use only your computer to verify if the issue persists that way.
  • Do you have the option to connect your computer to another Router or AP, this is just to confirm if the issue remains when doing that.

Any questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

The same problem occurs with MSI's latest driver which was also updated in January 2020.

>Please make sure the "Wireless Mode" is set to 802.11ax, since the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 works with that mode.

>Some other customers have reported that by disabling the 802.11R (Fast transition feature) also fix the problem for some of them, please test that configuration.

>For testing purposes, change the channel width from "Auto" to "20MHz" and let us know if the behavior is the same.

>Test the Wireless connection on both bands, 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

>Disconnect any other Wireless devices that are connected to that AP, and use only your computer to verify if the issue persists that way.

None of these steps makes any difference. Rolling back to the 21.50.1.1 driver works.

>Do you have the option to connect your computer to another Router or AP, this is just to confirm if the issue remains when doing that.

Yes, I tried another router as well and the same thing happens. It's as if the Wi-Fi card is malfunctioning and jamming the signal in the area, disconnecting all devices.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

kathampy, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

At this point, what we recommend for the moment, will be to keep using driver version 21.50.1.1 and keep checking our web site for a new Intel® Wireless driver release that will be available anytime soon. Once it becomes available please install it, test it and once you get the chance please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189347/Intel-Wi-Fi-6-AX200

Any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

@AlbertR_Intel​ The same issue has started occurring again with the 21.80.2 driver.

0 Kudos