Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

2230BNHMW mini pcie wireless combo card bluetooth question

awelu
Beginner

I purchased a new to me older Lenovo M93p that has the 2230BNHMW mini pcie combo card.  There are 2 mini headers for leads to connect to for wireless and bluetooth I presume.  One is labeled 1 the other is 2 AUX.  

Only the first header has a lead going to the rear antenna.  The 2nd / Aux does not have a lead on it, I assume when it was "refurbished" someone pulled that off and never replaced it.

That said, my Bluetooth reception is horrible, is the second lead the antenna for the bluetooth by chance?

Thank You,

Adam Welu

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to consult with lenovo regarding wifi card compatibility.

Doc

0 Kudos
awelu
Beginner

It is the card that originally came with some of the M93p Tiny in the platform specifications:

https://www.getech.co.uk/pdf/M93%20M93P%20Tiny9.pdf

Some: 11b/g/n wireless, PCIe Half Mini Card, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230,
Wi-Fi + Bluetooth combo adapter, 2x2

I used the Model number rather then the name.  It is an intel card, that's the reason I opened this here.  

I followed the video lenovo put up to replace wifi card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7AkiUA-z5U

I seen there my new to me computer is missing the 2nd lead shown in the video as well as the "front wireless antenna" that screws to the hard drive caddy.  

I want to know if the front antenna is specifically for the bluetooth?  As my bluetooth wont hold a connection for anything.  I do not believe it is a dual band card only 2.4ghz wifi.  

The rear antenna connected to 1 is connected and wifi works reasonable.  Is the 2nd antenna specifically for wireless as well, or was it meant to be an antenna for bluetooth.  Hence if I plug a new wire on 2 (AUX) and put another antenna on, will it increase my bluetooth range to the point bluetooth is usable, or just increase my wireless signal strength and range further.  That is what I am trying to determine.  I have a new wire and dual wifi antenna en route to test, but was curious if I set my expectations too high. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Contact Lenovo as I have asked.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The auxiliary antenna is what is used for Bluetooth, so yes, you need to fix this.

...S

awelu
Beginner

Thank you N_Scott_Pearson that is what I had suspected, rather then going internal I have an external antenna and pigtail in route that I'm hopeful will give me great bluetooth range rather then the 2-3 foot currently.

That is a much more helpful answer.  The ebay seller was trying to push back saying everythign works perfectly fine with the missing antenna, which I highly disagree with.  

0 Kudos