Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

7260 running 18.33.0.2 stops working after roaming around

MBurn3
Beginner

I've noticed a few of my devices that have the 7260 chipset running driver version 18.33.0.2 stop working. I've received a few complaints and just begun the t-shooting process. I started with debugging the client's MAC address on the WLC and monitored the device using a simple ping. These devices are very mobile and I observed them roaming properly then all they just stop working. From the wireless infrastructure side of the house the device just seems to stop trying to connect to the wireless network. If you click on the wireless icon in the task bar no Wireless networks are found and I've found that you can cycle the wireless adapter to get it back to a functional state. I was hoping that intel had some advanced diagnostic utilities to see what is actually occurring when the device stops working on the wireless network.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Miburn,

Have you had the opportunitiy to check with the compuuter manufacturer in order to obtain the latest drivers? http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites

As a second option, you are welcome to try our latest driver version: 18.40.0 found in our download center. For your convenience, here is the link to it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260 Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75440/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-7260 Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75174/Intel-Wireless-N-7260 Intel® Wireless-N 7260

Please, make sure to download the one that is in compliance with your OS version and architecture 32 or 64 Bit. Let us know the the results, please.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Miburn,

We are wondering if you still require assistance or the information provided was enough?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Miburn,

We haven't heard from you in a while. We would like to know if you still need our assistance.

Please, let us know at your earliest convenience.

0 Kudos
MBurn3
Beginner

I was really hoping that you had some advanced logging features or utilities to get more information from the client side device. The native Windows wireless utility doesn't have much for t-shooting. I have thousands of devices that have Intel chipsets and before I just randomly upgrade drivers I would like to understand the issue. From the sounds of it I will have to dive deep in t-shooting and prove out that the client side device is the issue and not the wireless infrastructure.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Miburn,

Could be so kind and tell us what kind of information you would like to obtain from the adapter?

Is there an specific feature or detail you are looking for?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Miburn,

We haven't heard from you yet so we would like to know if you still need our assistance. If so, please let us know in details what specific information you are looking for.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We have got the same issues with a lot Thinkpads equipped with a Intel 7260ac at work.

My colleagues were complaining about the fact, that the "Wifi stops working after roaming".

I've grapped one of those T440p to reproduce this, which did not take me very long.

Windows (7) "netsh" told me that the Thinkpad still thinks it's connected with a constant signal strength of 99% to a AP which is no longer in range!

The device still sends out Probe Requests, which are answered with Probe Responses of nearby APs - those updated information are stored in the "Seen APs list" of netsh.

But no roaming decision will every be made, because no other AP will reach a signal strength higher (or equal) 99% that easy - the Thinkpad will stick to the AP which is no longer reachable.

As suggested I've tried a newer driver version (v18.40) - which _does not_ help! Version 18.40 contains the same "old" v18.33.x for the Intel 7260ac (read the release notes).

The only thing which produces relief is a downgrade to version 17.xx at the moment.

Will this issue for the 7260ac every be fixed? Is the 7260ac still supported with driver updates or already "EOL"?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oposum,

Are these wireless adapters installed by factory?

Could you please provide the APs brand and model?

How many computers are involved?

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Aleki,

> Are these wireless adapters installed by factory?

Yes, those are Thinkpad T440p (model: 20AN0074GE) with Intel 7260ac installed by factory.

> Could you please provide the APs brand and model?

Several different LANCOM IEEE-802.11ac APs (e.g. L-1310acn, L-822, all QCA-9880 based).

> How many computers are involved?

I've documented this with at least 4 identical T440p (and driver version 18.33.x), but more colleagues are complaining.

Can you try to reproduce this in your lab, too? Will this issue for the 7260ac every be fixed? Is the 7260ac still supported with driver updates or already "EOL"?

Don't hesitate if you need more information!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oposum,

Thank you for the information. We are going to check based on what you have provided. If more information is needed we will let you know.

Best regards.

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oposum,

Thank you for your time. We have recently released the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows* 7 package version: 18.40.4 and this version includes driver version 18.33.3.2 for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC-7260 that contains a lot of fixes.

With that being said, it is recommended to always prefer the latest drivers provided by your computer manufacturer first in case the adapter is installed by factory. Through this link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites, you may find their contact information: On the other hand, you are also welcome to try our generic drivers found in our download center.

If after trying the computer manufacturer drivers you notice that the situation still persists, could you please be so kind and test this version and let us know if this situation is resolved?

For your convenience, here is the link to it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26094/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows* 7 package version: 18.40.4

Sometimes, a clean installation is necessary and here is how you can do it:

1. Download and save the drivers from the link above.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver component.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
pthom5
Beginner

It would be very helpful if Intel posted a list of open and resolved caveats with each update!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

_pt,

Is there any specific piece of information you are looking for?

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
pthom5
Beginner

I would like to see Intel and other manufacturers publish these open and resolved caveats for their products so that IT workers and knowledgeable consumers can read the list of caveats and decide if the driver update at best introduces a fix for a problem they believe they've encountered, their problem is listed as "open" so

that they know that updating to this version might be beneficial but not a priority, or at worst might introduce some sort of instability into an area that had previously been working.

This is a reporting system that equipment providers to government and enterprise providers have done for some time, although in some cases access to sensitive details might require a login. I believe Intel and the OEMs using Intel chipsets wish to be taken seriously in the enterprise environment, and to be forthcoming about caveats is an important step. Although Intel has made important improvements by regularly updating drivers for their chipsets, OEM's in particular seem to have a habit of laughing all the way to the bank with their customer's money while leaving official OEM driver versions years out of date and errata impossible to locate.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

_pt,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are forwarding your suggestion to the proper department.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
CErik
Beginner

I can reproduce the exact same error using Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 driver 18.30.1.3 Windows 7

Infrastructure is Cisco AIR-CAP2602, AIR-CAP2702 and AIR-LAP1142N

Tracing the client MAC adress on the WLAN Controller give me no errors, it just stops responding after roaming is done. Sometimes is takes a few roams, sometimes one is enough. Only solution is to reconnect on the client-side

I have registered a case at Cisco and will respond if they give me any info regarding this

Regards

Christian

0 Kudos
pthom5
Beginner

Hello, perhaps you would be comfortable with sharing your TAC case number or if/when it becomes available the bug ID. Sounds very similar to my problems. I see this on 8.0.132 Cisco code, and perhaps less or not at all on 8.1.131.0,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Oposum,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we would like to know if you still need our assistance.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Aleki,

I've been on vacation for the last 2 weeks and couldn't respond earlier.

My colleagues who already did the upgrade to v18.40.4 driver package do not complain about this issue anymore.

I think it has been fixed

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oposum,

It's always good to enjoy some time away. We hope you had a great time.

Thanks for letting us know all is working as it should. Should you or any member of your team need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos