Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC internal antenna install how to?

JRoge6
Beginner

I purchased the Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC mini PCIe card for my desktop computer as well as my laptops. On the card itself it has two places to install the antennas labeled 1 and 2. Both the laptop and the desktop have two internal cables which are black and white that go to the antennas. The Dell manual says one which is a white cable goes to the main WLAN and Bluetooth and the black cable says it goes to auxiliary WLAN and Bluetooth. I don't want to get those wires crossed if it matters so please advise me since there are no manuals to wear those wires go on the Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC. Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

It doesn't really matter. It'll work. To get the best setup, connect the wires like what Dell says. Then measure the signal strength in dbm. Then try swapping the antennas and measure the signal again. Choose the one that gives a better signal. If they're the same in every position, then it doesn't matter. I recently opened the bottom of my laptop to clean the fan and heatsink and I saw that mine has the black on Main and white on aux. I have the 7260N btw.

0 Kudos
DHess3
Beginner

How can it not matter? Am I wrong in assuming that one post will be for 2.4ghz wifi & Bluetooth, while the other post will be for 5ghz.

Why doesn't Intel tell us which post is 2.4ghz and which post is 5ghz

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The position of wireless antennas do not correspond to 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, single band adapters have two antennas too.

Intel® wireless adapters are meant to be professionally installed by Original Equipment Manufacturer technicians on certified systems only. We encourage contacting the respective system manufacturer (OEM) to determine the process for the appropriate hardware integration.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade

0 Kudos