Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

8260 Bluetooth headset bad quality

zero5
Novice

hello,

I have Lenovo t460s with Windows 10 and Intel 8260 wireless adapter and JBL Tune 700BT bluetooth headset. When headset used just for audio everything is fine. Since I change it to headset (start using mic) sound goes awefull: it cracks, make noises and can't be used at all. I've tested this headset on another laptop with bluetooth from another manufacturer and it works great. Also, I've tested it with android phone and tablet and it is fine too. I've also tried it with Win7 on the same machine and bad sound appears again. On Linux system it works better but sound still very bad. I've checked few versions of drivers with no luck. So I've made a conclusion that bluetooth adapter itself is a reason. What can I do with it?

11 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello zero5

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following details?

1- Are you having issues with Bluetooth only or with Wi-Fi too (both)?

2- Did this headset (with microphone function enabled) work fine before at any time with your computer?

3- Is this a new computer? Was there any Windows Update, hardware, software or driver change when the problem started?

4- Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you integrate/replace it?

5- Have you tried a different headset on your computer for testing purposes?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
zero5
Novice

Thank you for response,

1. Only Bluetooth, WiFi works fine

2. I've just bought it and it has issues since first connection

3. I've using this laptop for two years. It was 1903 Win10 build at first attempt to connect headset. I made an update to 2004 version with no luck. I've also tried few versions of driver for Intel BT adapter but all of them works with issue.

4. Yes, it was pre-installed by manufacturer.

5. Two other headsets work fine on this laptop. Also I've tested it yesterday on friend's laptop Lenovo t460 with the same AC 8260. Result is the same, sound is bad. So the problem is not only with my exact laptop. On another Lenovo laptop with Broadcom adapter and using Android and iOS phones this headset works fine.

Attached info from utility. 

0 Kudos
danbroun
Beginner

I have an equal Problem on my Fujitsu E558 with the "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-ACAC8265 11ac mit integriertem Bluetooth 4.2" and my absolutely up-to-date Sony 1000XM4 headphones. It especially happens sometimes when I have my first call or just connected or so. Seems like quality is not always that bad.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello zero5

Thank you for your response.

We are not sure if you have tried yet, but we would like to recommend a clean install of both Wireless and Bluetooth drivers using the customized drivers from the Lenovo™ website. You can find the drivers using the below link*:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t460s/downloads/driver-list/

• Intel Bluetooth Software for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T460s, version 21.70.0.3.
  • Intel Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad, version 20.70.16.4.

You can follow the steps on the following links:

As a second option, you may repeat the steps using the generic drivers from Intel:

If the problem persists, please provide the following details:

1- The brand and model of the other headsets that work fine on this laptop for reference purposes:

2- The wireless network that your laptop is connected to, is it working on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band?

3- Router/Access point brand and model:

4- Are there other wireless devices close to the laptop/headset? For instance, wireless phones.

5- Does the behavior occurs when using the headset with any specific app or with calls? Please provide details.

6- How far (distance/range) is the headset being used from the laptop? Is the behavior the same if getting closer to the computer?

7- Do you use additional Bluetooth devices with the computer at the same time while using the headset?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
zero5
Novice

Hello,

Thanks for response.

i've tried both drivers and clean installation of Windows 10 and Windows 7 with no luck.

For your points:

1. Working fine: Anker Soundcore Life 2, Nillkin Liberty, Apple Airpods 2.

2. Tried both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

3. Xiaomi Mi Router 3G.

4. Only cellphone.

5. Problem occurs with any app when changing from Stereo to Hands-Free mode in Windows. If I change it manually from sound menu to use Hands-Free as default output any sound becomes cracking.

6. Tried from 30cm to couple meters with no changes.

7. I've got BT mice but also tried disabling. Issue still persists.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @danbroun

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We noticed that your wireless card is a different model than the one described in the original post.

Everyone's situation and environment are unique so we kindly recommend creating a new thread to isolate your case and system configuration, please make sure you add the information of the system model and specs, detailed information of the problem that you are having, plus all the information that you have added to this thread, so we can get more information about the problem.

Thank you for your understanding; hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello zero5

Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as we have more details to share.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello zero5

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further and based on all the troubleshooting performed so far, this issue seems to related to the headset itself, unrelated to our wireless card since other headsets as you mentioned work fine with this laptop.

Therefore, our recommendation is to check this further with the headset manufacturer (OEM) for additional support from their side.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
zero5
Novice

Hello,

But this headsets works fine with other devices: laptop with Broadcom adapter and few telephones and tablets. Also, using Linux OS it works better on my laptop but still pretty bad. It makes me think that this is caused by driver differences.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello zero5

We perfectly understand your point. However, this doesn't seem to be a driver issue since other headsets work fine with this wireless card, and the issue with the JBL Tune 700BT headset triggers when changing from "Stereo to Hands-Free mode" (with mic). Hence, this seems to be related to the design of the headset or its compatibility with the wireless/laptop and its specifications.

Having said that, our recommendation is to check this further with the manufacturer of the headset since they may have easy access to this headset model and be able to test it with an environment/configuration similar to yours for additional debugging from their side.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello zero5

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos