Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

8265 Shows up as Bluetooth under network adapters in device manager.

GPier1
Beginner

After a couple days of searching I'm putting up the white flag. Have an Advantech 3520P box running Win 10 64 build 1604 that I'm tying to get an 8265 working on. Will attach SSU report. Bluetooth seems to work fine, although no serious test since I don't care about it, but no WIFI available. No networks showing up. Device manager shows a new network adapter, but not the 8265 I would expect, instead it shows up as a Bluetooth device. Network connections shows same thing. I can access properties and configure settings like any other NIC, but Windows is not recognizing this as a WIFI interface. If I go into my settings and disable Bluetooth, my network adapter disappears in network connections. So it appears that even though I have the ability to set properties like a normal NIC, it is really only a Bluetooth device.

CMD: netsh wlan show all indicates no wireless interface.

I did check my WLAN service and made sure it was set to auto

Checked to make sure my discovery was turned on

Downloaded and installed 20.50.0 PROSet64_Win10 (which I believe includes latest drivers, but not too sure)

Used the above software to setup a profile with all my connection info.

I'm sure it is something simple but, uncle

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello pooreng99,

We understand you have installed an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 on your small form factor computer, but are only able to detect the Bluetooth® module in device manager.

Looking at the specifications page for your computer, we can confirm that you do indeed have the correct type of M.2 slot (Key E, Socket 1 for WiFi). While this is the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024942/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html primary requirement for the adapter to work, since your is an OEM system (as opposed to a custom build PC), it's very important to engage your computer manufacturer to confirm hardware compatibility.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

In order to better assist you, we would like to know the following:

1. Is this a https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-8265-brief.pdf stand alone adapter, or did you purchase the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/wireless-ac-8265-desktop-kit-brief.pdf Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit?

2. In Device Manager, under Network Adapters. Could you please share the hardware IDs for both of the Bluetooth Devices showing here? (Properties> Details tab > Property: Hardware Ids)

3. Have you tried reseating the adapter (Physically remove from slot, confirm connectors are free of debris, install again)?

4. Are you able to test with a more recent image of Windows®? You're currently running Windows® 10 1607, Redstone 1. Current release is version 1803, Redstone 4. Anniversary Update had quite a few networking issues.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
GPier1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

1: This answer is kind of funny, bought stand alone to start with, then realized I needed antenna, so purchased a kit. So I have an extra m.2 card, which cost me more than the kit? Go figure.

2: BTH\MS_BTHPAN is the top hardware ID. BTH\MS_RFCOMM is the next.

3: I have had this one in and out a few times, the latest being changing from original standalone to kit version. FYI Standalone behaved the same way.

4: I seem to be running into issues with Win update, tells me there is an error try again latter. I tried several times before I posted. Will follow that issue and try to get 1803. If I succeed I will let you know.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pooreng99,

This could be a hardware compatibility issue. We highly recommend verifying with your computer manufacturer that:

1. They have validated hardware compatibility for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 (they may have a handy list of validated models).

2. Your BIOS is up to date.

When it comes to Bluetooth®, you OS will generate several virtual devices for specific functions, based on the hardware IDs, that's the case here. The wireless module in your adapter is not being recognized as Bluetooth®, it's actually not being recognized altogether. You're only able to see the Bluetooth® module.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos