Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

9260 and AX210 poor performance with Intel driver

doc_808
Beginner

I have had a 9260 installed in my machine for some time now. When I run any Intel provided driver my download speeds seemed to be throttled to 30-40Mbps, and my upload speeds aren't much better. I can switch to the Microsoft provided driver v21.10.2.2 and I can get 200-300Mbps and higher with LAN transfers. In all cases I confirm with 'netsh wlan show interface' that I'm connected usually at 585-650Mbps (80Mhz channel with a Cisco 3702AP). I also have other computers on my network with Intel Wifi (mostly 8260) and they have no issues with the latest Intel drivers.

I tried a brand new AX210 adapter, but I get the same 30-40Mbps connection. Since there is no driver alternative I keep it disabled until I can find some sort of resolution.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello doc_808,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following information:

-When did the problem start to happen?

-Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?

-Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

-Is this a new computer?

-Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?

-Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before using our drivers?

-Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system besides the AX210 you tested and the Microsoft driver?

-Have tried a roll back to a previous driver version from our website for testing?

-Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem?

-Would you mind providing me a picture or a video of the way the adapter is connected to your motherboard? 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
doc_808
Beginner

The 9260 was purchased from ASUS in the PCI-E adapter. The AX210 came with a generic PCI-E adapter. I have tried swapping the 9260 and AX210 in the adapter with no change. I have included pictures of the cards and installation in the computer. I have tried the 9260 in another laptop and it works fine.

The 9260 has had this problem since the first time I installed it. I assumed it may have something to do with the 9260, so I just waited until the AX210 became available. Since the 9260 worked fine with the Microsoft-provided 21.10.2.2 driver I did not worry about it but did not attempt to upgrade the driver. The computer is now about 18 months old, I installed the 9260 a few months after I built the computer. Prior to having the 9260 I was using a hardwired connection, I installed the 9260 after moving my desk to a new location that did not have a wired connection.

This is my home environment, but I have some enterprise equipment setup so I can test certain things for my job from home. I have a Cisco 3702i with autonomous image v15.3(3)JPI4 as my primary home AP. I have not tested this desktop on other networks, however I have 2 other laptops with Intel 8260 driver version 20.70.19.1 and they have no performance issues. I do have a Cisco 9800 with an 1852i, I but I'll have to find some time to setup a test.

-Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem? I know you have to ask... yes, and my firewall, and my cable modem 

On the 9260 I have tried Intel versions 21.120.1, 21.90.3.2, and 21.80.2.1, 20.50.3.3. All work exactly the same. On the AX210 I have only tried 22.20.0.6. 

I have also included the output of 'show dot11 association' from the AP in working and non-working configurations (problem.txt) and on a working laptop (laptop.txt)

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello doc_808,

We appreciate all the information provided, based on the issue that both adapters are presenting regarding their performance would like to recommend the following:

-Complete a clean installation of the driver

Instructions

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-io/wireless.html

Latest generic driver

.Exe file

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30112/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

.Zip file

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30113/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins

Note: If the installation is unsuccessful with the .exe file, an installation with the .zip file can be done with the steps below:

1-Save the .zip file from the driver download link on the computer.

2-Go to Device Manager.

3-Expand the Network Adapters category.

4-Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

5-Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

6-Repeat steps 3 through 5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

7- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter

8-Select Update driver.

9-Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10-Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

11-Click Have Disk.

12-Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located.

13-Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

14-Reboot the computer when prompted

-After you finish the installation for the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 please make sure you are using the recommended settings for the 802.11ac Connectivity.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-io/wireless.html

-After you finish the installation for the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 please make sure you are using the recommended settings for the

802.11ax Connectivity.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057574/wireless/intel-wireless-products.html

*For each test the access point must be configured for either 11ac mode for the 9260 or 11ax mode for the AX210.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
doc_808
Beginner

802.11w being enabled on the SSID seems to have been the problem. I disabled it on my AP and I am now able to get full performance from both the 9260 and AX210 with the latest Intel drivers. 

Is there some issue with 802.11w support?

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello doc_808,

We’re glad to hear that you were able to fix the performance issue; however, to answer your question the use of the 802.11w protocol could produce times-out intervals in your connection which can end up causing slow speeds due to minor disconnections that even though won’t cause a complete loose of your connection they will certainly affect speeds.

Our recommendation right now will be for you to test the adapters out and let us know if you need any more assistance, also it is worth mentioning that it will be good if you check with Cisco for any firmware updates needed and any configurations that they might recommend for your access point.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
doc_808
Beginner

I updated the Cisco firmware on the 3702 and the result did not change. When running the Intel driver I get slow performance with PMF enabled, but the 9260 with the Microsoft driver works fine. Other 8260 adapters also work fine with PMF enabled using the Intel driver.

I did run into a similar issue with poor performance on an enterprise Cisco 9800 (16.12.4a) network with PMF enabled, but I was not able to verify the precise configuration of the Windows workstation as I was supporting the environment remotely. Other non-Intel based devices did not seem to have an issue.

Disabling PMF is an acceptable workaround for me. If Intel wants to look at this as a possible driver issue I can setup some additional tests with the enterprise infrastructure.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello doc_808,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities.

In this case, based on the integration that you have completed with both adapters, our strongest recommendation will be to check the compatibility of the PCI-e adapters you have been using and your motherboard, the original manufacturer of both devices might have customized or set limitations that we have no control off; therefore, you should check with both of them directly to see how to further move along with the assistance.

Regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos