Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

AC 3160 can't see the network at all?

ZKres
Beginner

Hi, I'm having problems connecting to my home network.

I have a brand new laptop. Lenovo G50-80 with the AC3160 dual band.

Windows 8.1 64bit

I've tried many of the suggestions here.

Using "WifInfoView" free software I can see lots of networks, on 2.4 and 5 ghz both, but not my home network.

I have many devices connected to my router already, including an very old laptop, several phones, and a brand new tablet.

The router is D-link DIR-635. It is capable of 802.11n, g and b on the 2.4 ghz band.

It is set to broadcast on g, b and n. I have tried setting it to n only but that didn't help.

I have tried turning off password.

I have tried the latest drivers from both intel and lenovo.

I have tried turning off bluetooth in device manager.

I have tried turning off power saving features.

The router is discontinued but has the latest firmware. And as mentioned, other devices can connect to it.

Is there anything else to try?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ZKres
Beginner

UPDATE!!

If I select "only 802.11g" on the router I can see and connect to the network!

A bit strange. I'm open to any suggestions but speed isn't that important to me so I consider this solved.

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Zkreso,

We are glad that you found a viable workaround for this condition. I would like to add some information for your consideration:

- The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 is optimized for 802.11ac connectivity and is backwards compatible with previous WiFi technologies. Some older routers may not work well with the new features of this type of adapter. However, you should still be able to use Wireless-N.

- For wireless connectivity issues, make sure you have applied the configuration from the advisory:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

- Since your wireless router is Wireless-N, 2.4 GHz, but does not have the option to update the firmware, you may need to perform some additional changes in the Advanced Wireless Adapter settings, this will limit the 802.11ac features of the adapter, and improve connectivity with 2.4 GHz networks

802.11n channel width (band 2.4): 20 MHz

HT mode: HT mode

U-APSD support: Disabled

PRio
Beginner

Hya Jonathan! I would like to ask you something. I have a laptop, with the ac 3160 and I have done all the possble things that I have read on the internet and still has its issue, sometimes the connectivity is dropped, no internet at all, and in 10 second it is back. Also I have changed all those advanced setting that the guy that created this post mentioned and all those ones that you have said. and still some pages are slow to shown or the videos dont start quickly. But, I plug a usb wirleless and still is the same. How do I know what is the problem, the ac3160 or another thing? Hope you can help me, please!

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Paulina,

If you have a 2.4 GHz access point, make sure you apply the settings mentioned in previous posts, as they may help in this situation.

The fact that the connection is slow with an external USB wireless adapter suggests that there may be other issues affecting the connection. Here are some additional steps you can try:

- Try disabling Bluetooth* in your PC. This is normally done with a switch in the PC chassis, or with a key combination.

- Check the Power options of you laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, then make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

- Change the Wireless channel in your router. Most WiFi networks use default channels, however, you can change it in the router and check if this helps. When doing this, it is very important to measure the speed of the connection after making a change.

If the issue persists, let us know some additional details:

- System information (OS, brand, model, driver version, etc). If you preffer, you can https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, then use it to create and save a report, afterwards, you can use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting file to this thread.

- Do you have the same issue if you use a Wired Ethernet connection?

0 Kudos
PRio
Beginner

Hya Jonathan! Thank you so much for answering me through this, and through PM. I am sorry to ask you by these two options. I just didnt know if in what way you could answer me faster. Sorry if I bothered you with my two options.

Let me try to explain it. I am a woman and I like to explain everything and you are a man and you want short and concise. So, Here I go again.

I have 5 laptops, and just in this one that happens to have an AC 3160 adapter has problems with the wifi connection. Problems like: there is sometimes that the connection is dropped, and then reestablished, the pages take years to open ( some times) the images on the pages you can see how they are being downloaded ( like a dial up) I have done all those things that you have said to do on those all thread to numerous people ( of course I did them before asked you, I a wouldnt waste your time) and still it is the same. I don't have to do any changes to my router because it gives me 2.4GH and 5GH at the same time, I just decide to what I want to be connected.

So, How I can know if the problem is with the AC adpater or with another thing to the laptop?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Paulina,

Here are some steps that can help in order to isolate the possible culprit (router, PC, wireless adapter, etc).

- Which method are you using to measure the speed of your network? It often helps to test the speed of the connection between troubleshooting steps.

- Please confirm if the issue happens with the 5 GHz band, or only in 2.4 GHz.

- Also, you mentioned that you have a USB wireless adapter as well, does it show the same behavior? where WiFi randomly disconnects and does not show any available networks.

- If possible, connect to a different WiFi network and check if you get a better connection.

- Try an Ethernet connection (Wired) to the same router, and check if the issue persists.

- Make sure that the antennas are properly connected to the Wireless Adapter (may require assistance from the Computer Manufacturer Support).

0 Kudos
Marcello
Beginner

Hi,

I had a similar issue on network adapter "Intel(R)Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160" on a Dell Inspiron 5548 running Window 10 64-bit.

I could fix it by upgrading the drivers from this website, https://www.intel.it/content/www/it/it/download/19430/intel-proset-wireless-software-and-drivers-for-intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-3160.html

The correct driver version is 18.33.17.1 from Apr-2019

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos