Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

AC-3165 Low Throughput

DDona2
Beginner

I've been struggling with the throughput of the wireless adapter in my laptop. On the best of days it can only average about 35-45/mb even when sitting next to the wireless router. All the drivers and bios has been updated with the latest revisions. Router is set for N only currently using 2.4ghz. I've attached the results from the SSU.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Griffin_NC,

We understand you would like help improving your wireless throughput on your system using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

Thank you for proactively sharing your SSU report.

Based on your current settings, an average throughput of ~36 Mbps is expected. Keep in mind that the AC3165 is a 1x1 adapter, operating in a Wireless-N network is the main cause for your low download speeds.

Your current connection rate is steady at 72.2 Mbps. This is the best that can be achieved on an 802.11n network using 20MHz Channel Width (which is the recommended channel width for the 2.4 GHz frequency).

To improve your current throughput, you could switch to the 5 GHz band and enable https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005799/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html channel bonding on your wireless access point/router. This should increase your connection rate to 150 Mbps, which would result in better throughput, closer to a maximum of ~72 Mbps. However, the most marked improvement would come from upgrading your router to a Wireless-AC capable model.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos