I was currently running the 20.0.2 driver set that worked fine. I have a Lenovo T440s. Their system update software, updated the driver to 20.10.2. It was listed as "critical" and was auto updated. Once the update happened, windows saw the network adapter in Device Manager, but there was a yellow exclamation, and the system did not have any wireless connectivity. I tried rebooting to see if that had anything to do with it, and it got stuck on the "restarting" screen. I had to hard power it down after waiting 10 minutes.
I started down the path of uninstalling the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software, then uninstalled the AC 7260 device in device manager, and cleared the temporary files. I downloaded the latest 20.10.2 version from Intel, and tried installing after a reboot. Same issue. I did not know I had the 20.0.2 version prior at this point. I was extremely lucky and windows had created a restore point earlier that morning. I reverted to it, and my wireless was back. I checked the driver and it was the 20.0.2 (Driver version 184.108.40.206).
I have not attempted to go to 20.10.2 again, and have since disabled lenovo system update from allowing auto installation.
This post is more of a FYI than anything. I cannot afford to lose the network in the middle of a work day again so will have limited ability to test anything if that is needed.
I have installed the meltdown/spectre patches from MS, and have updated the BIOS for that too. I'm not sure if that potentially has any barring on this at all (probably not but figured I would mention it). Those were the most recent significant changes to the system prior to the wireless driver update/failure.
We understand you're having issues when updating to the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers version 20.10.2 in Windows® 10.
In order to better assist you, please share a report using the Intel® System Support Utility.
1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU.
2. While connected to your network, select to scan "everything."
3. Save and name the report.
We look forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks for the report.
Oddly enough, the SSU shows that you have the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 20.10.2 installed, but your adapter is using the driver version included in the 20.0.2 release (driver version 220.127.116.11).
Other than to have the latest driver (which is a good reason in and of itself), are you updating updating to address a particular issue in your system? If not, there is a new driver scheduled to be released soon. We could always wait and try it out.
Otherwise, we can try a clean installation using only the driver without the additional software to see if this makes a difference.
1. Download latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software (IT Admin version) for your adapter, and extract the compressed folder to a known location: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27312 WiFi_20.10.2_Driver64_Win10.zip
2. Right click on your start menu > Select Apps & Features from the menu > Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. When asked, choose to discard your settings.
3. Right click on your start menu > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, uninstall. When prompted, choose to "Uninstall driver software for this device."
4. Restart your computer.
5. Right click on your start menu > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and choose to Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Point the wizard to the place where you extracted the drivers in step one.
Test your connection and let us know if the issue continues.
It was auto updated via Lenovo software. I hadn't actually gone to do it myself. So no, there is no real reason to do the update other than being like you said, on the latest. I can wait until the next version, and will give that a shot and report back here.
Great, I'll make a note to post to your thread when the driver is available on our Download Center.
In the meantime, if there's anything else we can help you with, just let us know.
The new set of drivers for Wireless and Bluetooth® are live now, please test them and let us know if they help:
WiFi: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27475 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers Version 20.30.1
BT: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27493 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Version 20.30.0
Hello Hello JackHFrost,
We're glad to hear that your issue was resolved by our latest driver release. Thank you for coming back to let us know.