Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

AC 7260 frequent ping spikes

idata
Employee

Anyone has had issues with this card? I cant seem to get rid of the regular and frustrating ping spikes. Im on Windows 7, running a Dell Precision 3800 laptop. I'm on an ASUS AC68U router, though Ive tried others with the same result. Ive also tried different driver versions and even reformatted my system to no avail. Anyone know whats going on? The collective knowledge of the internet seems rather divided and inconclusive on this matter despite my scouring of its depths over the last few days. Its definitely something to do with the wireless card. I just dont know what.

Here is the results I get when I ping my router. As you can see its sitting pretty dandy at 1ms and then it suddenly decides to explode to some ridiculous number for a second or two then it goes back to normal again.

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=190ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=64

<span style="color: # 333333; font-family: Verdana, Arial,...

78 Replies
AKule1
Novice

GUYS I SOLVED THE PROBLEM

however, you will not like the solution.

i tried all the drivers from the different threads and the problem still persists. I assume that Intel has a technical design flaw in the card which they are not willing to admit (otherwise the company will go bankrupt).

So, the only solution is to switch to another card. As someone suggested in another thread, I chose Broadcom 94352 (Broadcom 4352), otherwise known as Azurewave AW-CE123H.

It has all the same functions (b/g/n/ac, bt4.0) and works flawlessly.

7260 is unfixable, unreliable crap. Same as 6235.

Intel can go **** itself.

RAber1
Beginner

Just received my new ASUS ROG G751JY-DH72X with Intel 7260. Wifi has been a disaster from the get go. Can not even complete a speed test with 5GHz. 2.4 works some but is very flakey. Setting ScanWhenAssociated did not fix things for me, as some have reported. I have an older ROG with a Broadcom AC adapter and it works perfectly on a multitude of wifi networks with all sorts of hardware. I have probably 10 other devices on my home router/wifi on both 2.4 and 5 and all work fine.

This Intel 7260 card seems to be a nightmare for many people. Intel forums are knee deep in complaints. I love this laptop but I have no choice but to return it. If you can not turn on your laptop and use wifi internet wherever you are, it is not a laptop.

I have wasted a day of my precious time reading through pages of posts and trying ridiculous voodoo style solutions. I will only buy Broadcom from now on.

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Randy88,

We understand you just received your new laptop with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 already installed in it, correct?

Our recommendation is that you check with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) if they have any updates for this wireless card as they adapted the card to fit their system. We also recommend that you check these links that might help you to improve your experience with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034658.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Quick Checks That Might Improve or Fix Connection Issues

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

Please let us know if this piece of information helped you.

0 Kudos
CJohn17
Beginner

This may not work for everyone, but I just purchased a Lenovo Y50 Touch a day ago and it has this problematic Intel hardware. At first I tried numerous things to no avail, but after changing Wireless Mode to 1. 801.11a, my wifi speeds jumped from 1Mb/s - 5Mb/s to the regular 50Mb/s I should have been seeing, and the high latency dropped significantly as well from 150 - 400ms to 33ms when testing to my normal location on SpeedTest.net.

I should add I also had to set preferred to 2.4GHz

0 Kudos
CLuo5
Beginner

so I stumbled across this thread cuz i was searching for the problematic network card inside LENOVO Y50-70 laptop.

It seems that there really is a big hardware wise issue with the card itself and we can only tweak the settings on the driver level, right? Does Intel know this product being "defective"

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello zkmoonea,

We appreciate the feedback from our customers and it is always taken into consideration. We are continuously working to improve our products and the way they work in different environments.

If your system is presenting the same issue reported in this thread, there are different recommendations in this and other forums that may help with that.

For further assistance, please let us know some additional information about your system (Operating system, adapter model, driver version, wireless router, error messages, etc.).

Also, you can get assistance by http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport contacting Intel Support, or with your http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support.

STan12
Novice

Anyone found a solution? Got my laptop 2 months ago with intel ac 7260..been facing a frustrating spikes especially during in game..it is insanely annoying! tried everything settings on my router/wifi adapter/driver even tried updating driver from my laptop manufacturer but none works! help! please! this is getting really frustrating D;

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Sams,

Could you please provide more details about your spike issue. Does it happen only when you are playing games?

Do you have any issue connecting to the internet?

Is this wireless card the original one that came installed in your laptop or was it installed later? If this card is the original one,please check with your computer manufacturer for any driver updates as this may help with this issue.

0 Kudos
STan12
Novice

Hey aleki,

it happens most obvious in games especially e.g. dota 2. I have no issue at all connecting to the internet and it's the original one that came with the laptop. tried the manufacturer's driver but still the same.

help!

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Sams,

Since you don't have any issues connecting to the internet, could you please inform us what kind of spikes you're experiencing.

Is it lag... Do you you a delay in the game response?

0 Kudos
STan12
Novice

The whole game stutters and yeah, there's a delay. It dont spike all the time, it happens time to time but pretty frequent. cant really blame my router cuz when my bro n i play dota 2 together, i experience the spikes but my bro's gameplay was smooth. Really smooth.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Sams,

Usually, lags and stutters could be caused by a background application/service spiking processor usage. Run Windows Performance Monitor to scan your system. Here is the link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749249.aspx Windows Performance Monitor - On Windows 8.1 you can find this feature on task manager by clicking on on the start button on the bottom left go into task manager as shown in the picture below.Please understand that lagging may not be related to the wireless card.

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-308464-244582/pastedImage_2.png

Is this card the original one that came installed in your system when you bought it ? ,

Have you checked if the antennas if they are setup properly?

Below are some links that can help you improve connectivity. If you are experiencing issues related to your connectivity with this card.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025332.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Resolving Wi-Fi Network Connection Issues

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006321.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Access Point (AP) Firmware Updates May Resolve Wireless Network Issues

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — What Are the Advanced Wi-Fi Adapter Settings?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034875.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Access Point Interoperability Issue with uAPSD

On our best effort to help you reduce game lag or stutter, you can do the following:

You can typically reduce game lag by either lowering the performance settings for the given game or by upgrading certain parts on your computer. The amount of Random Access Memory (RAM) you have available and the quality of your graphics card are the two most important variables in providing a lag-free gaming experience. Running other programs while simultaneously playing a game can also drain system resources and cause lag. Understanding how to reduce game lag will help to prevent you from getting frustrated with slower-than-usual game response.

1 - Lower graphics settings in the game setting menu - *These features are merely illustrative and may differ from that of your game(s)

Go to the game that you are experiencing lag

Go the video options once the game has loaded and select graphics option as shown in the picture below:

Picture 1

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-308464-244583/pastedImage_0.png

Picture 2

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-308464-244593/pastedImage_1.png

2 - Reduce your resolution until you find a sweet spot at which then game runs smoothly enough for you, while still retaining acceptable graphics.

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-308464-244594/pastedImage_2.png

This is as far as we can go on our best effort to help you with the lag when playing games.

0 Kudos
STan12
Novice

Hey aleki,

thanks for the suggestion but i doubt it is due to my performance cuz:-

a. ill never run any other software except certain background software by the computer manufacturer while gaming

b. dota 2 doesnt consume much ram while i have 8gb of ram

c. it's a msi gt60 dominator (gtx 870m)

d. ive pinged dota2 n google via cmd (ping www.google.com/sgp-1.valve.net -t), it shows signs of spike connection like the sudden increased of ping as mentioned in the first post of this thread

e. if it can handle gta v smoothly, i really doubt it will have a difficult time handling dota 2.

but will try as suggested nonetheless. will update u the results (P.S. i also do face spikes and delays in gta online but experience really smooth gaming when i play the offline version.)

0 Kudos
STan12
Novice

hey aleki,

ive tried lowering the resolution and graphic quality but still there's signs of spike connection/delay. my router is in the lastest firmware even in previous firmware i face the same problem. ive tried different settings disabling/enabling u-aspd but no to avail. ive changed the router wifi settings but no difference.

please assist and also if possible, build a proper driver for the ac 7260. i believe it is a good card but it's faulty due to bad drivers.

0 Kudos
LBart6
Beginner

I've just bought this card a few days ago, and has speed drop issues (ac mode). When I did a speed test, or downloaded something, the download speed always fluctuated, dowload speed reaches almost my maximum, then suddenly dropped to it's half for a few seconds, few seconds full speed, then dropped again (loop). Ok, I installed the latest Intel Proset software, and the problem has gone.... until my next reboot, so the speed drop issue happened again... I removed the card in device manager, deleted the driver, then reinstalled it, and the problem has gone again. Tried a reboot, aaand.... yes, sh*t hit the fan....speed drops again... My speed test graph looked like a EKG. I've searching alot on the internet, but no any acceptable answers were found. After that I've found this post yesterday, and looked at my ping, and it was the same what the guy mentioned... did a speed test, and I've found out, the speed dropped when I got the high ping values. Then I added this "ScanWhenAssociated" (it was not there for me) DWORD in the Windows (8.1) registry, rebooted my laptop aaand... yes, the issue is no more exist! Always get the full throttle on my card. Hope this helps. I hope I will satisfied with this card, I was with Intel 5100, my previous one.

STan12
Novice

thanks for the suggestion lackoo!

tried the "ScanWhenAssociated", it definitely improved my ping by alot! been getting a frequent 500++ms when pinged to dota2 but after that, it only hit a max of 100ms but an average of 50ms. which is actually playable! +1 for u mate. I really hope Intel will release a driver that adds that "ScanWhenAssociated" registry so that it'll solve many of our problems!

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Sams wrote:

thanks for the suggestion lackoo!

tried the "ScanWhenAssociated", it definitely improved my ping by alot! been getting a frequent 500++ms when pinged to dota2 but after that, it only hit a max of 100ms but an average of 50ms. which is actually playable! +1 for u mate. I really hope Intel will release a driver that adds that "ScanWhenAssociated" registry so that it'll solve many of our problems!

I highly doubt they do since "ScanWhenAssociated" disables roaming which then makes the chip unable to transition from farther AP to a closer AP.

0 Kudos
STan12
Novice

True. Hope they'll fix this issue, it can ne really frustrating. Or provide options in advance to disable roaming :O

0 Kudos
JSard1
Beginner

Anyone tried to disable ScanWhenAssociated in Windows 10? Regedit is ok, but it keeps lagging when windows search for wifi.

More than 2 years and Intel did not solve this problem!

0 Kudos
ALee72
Beginner

I also update to win10 and find that it's no use to add ScanWhenAssociated.

0 Kudos
iniki1
Novice

ScanWhenAssociated addition worked for me on Windows 10. Thank you so much Vigz, and if it's not working for you, double check that you did everything right, otherwise your problem might be something different.

EDIT: Or not. I think it might run smoother when it is connected, but I still get random connection drops. It's almost like if it's unaware that any other networks exist (i.e. after a fresh driver uninstall/reinstall, and a restart with the registry edit in place), it's good. As soon as you disconnect and let it discover other networks, it crashes. Who knows. I think we all realize that this card is an unfixable piece of junk and losing any more time over it is counterproductive.

0 Kudos