Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC-7265 Loses 3/4th's of it speed coming out of Sleep mode

MDave3
Beginner

Ok so this is going to be a little long but I have verified this activity so bare with me

So I purchased an HP 608 G1 which uses am AC-7265 wifi adapter, actually this is my second one I returned the first one due to touch screen issues, the first tablet showed the same symptoms which confirms this is an issue with the actual Wifi adapter/Drivers.

So I was using older drivers on this tablet that HP supplied versions 17.16.2.1 and Wifi would go to limited internet after sleep each and every time. You would have to toggle airplane mode to get it back. Both tablets did this so it was very repeatable. My router is a TP-Link Archer09 which supports AC. So my searching to fix the issues of being limited coming out of sleep led me to the intel site and version 18.33.0. Well amazingly those drivers fixed the issue of the tablet going to limited after sleep mode.

However after doing speed tests after a fresh reboot and speed tests after the tablet comes out of sleep mode the wifi adapter only gets 1/4 of the speed it does when it is freshly rebooted. I did speed tests from several different sites and the results are consistent.

After a fresh reboot the tablet will get 125MBPS down and 25MBPS up which is the max of my internet connection. After coming out of sleep mode it will only do 40MBPS down and still 25MBPS up.

So intel have corrected the limited internet coming out of sleep mode but even in these new drivers something else is going on to cause dramatically slower speeds. Because this is a small tablet going in and out of sleep mode happens alot and it is not acceptable to reboot the tablet each time I put it down for 5 mins when it goes to sleep mode.

I've already tried all the recommended adapter settings found here from aleki_intel, the behaviour seems very consistent and easily repeatable. I've reloaded drivers etc. I've done ALOT of tweaking to try and fix this issue and I have come to the conclusion this is a driver issue.

Maybe coming out of sleep mode the adapter switches to N band instead of AC? I'm not sure what is going on but I would REALLY like this fixed, if intel can fix the issue of going to limited after sleep mode they should be able to fix this.

This is a small 8 inch Windows tablet so I'm not going to be plugging in another external wifi adapter either.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MDave3
Beginner

Another user on the HP support forums reported the same type of behaviour with this tablet. Can Intel Dev's at least acknowledge and test this issue and please work on a driver fix? This issue REALLY sucks, why do I have to reboot after sleep mode just to get the wifi adapter to get speeds it is capable of?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows/2-HP-608-s-both-go-to-limited-wifi-when-they-go-to-sleep/td-p/5535725 2 HP 608's both go to limited wifi when they go to sleep mod... - HP Support Forum - 5535725

0 Kudos
MDave3
Beginner

So bottom line what on earth could be happening to the Wifi adapter in sleep mode to cause it to lose 3/4ths of it's speed when it comes out of sleep mode? The speed decrease can take 10-mins to 60 mins of being in sleep mode. It does not always happen quickly.

This Tablet has no option to turn off power management for the Wifi Adapter in device manager. I even found an MS site that has a reg edit to do it but their is no reg entry for this tablet to allow power management to be turned off for the Wifi adapter.

0 Kudos
MDave3
Beginner

Bueller? Anyone in intel support want to chime in? This is a repeatable easily observable situation. I'd at least like Intel devs to acknowledge and test the scenario so it could get a potential fix. I paid $600 for a tablet with a wonky wifi adapter and it would be nice to have intel fix the issue.

0 Kudos
MDave3
Beginner

So really no one is going to respond? I even PM'd one of the intel guys that post here alot. Come one what do I have to do to get a real human at intel to investigate this issue? It is ruining my $600 tablet and I would at least like the issue acknowledged.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

swanlee597,

We do apologize for our late response. Could you please be so kind and let us know which version of Windows* you have on this tablet?

0 Kudos
MDave3
Beginner

Windows 8.1

Tablet is HP 608 G1

Wifi Adapter AC-7265

HP 17.16.2.1 drivers cause limited internet after sleep mode, this is the latest drivers on HP's support site for this tablet

Intel drivers 18.33.0.1 cause degraded speed after sleep mode going from 125MBPS before to 20-30MBPS after about an hour in sleep mode.

I'm willing to try older drivers or beta drivers I just want the wifi adapter in this tablet to always give the highest speed depending on signal strength. The signal strength from when it does 125MBPS to 20-30MBPS is the exact same, so the slower speed is not reflecting in the visual signal strength the adapter reports. I'm also willing to run logs and make youtube videos showing this behaviour.

Remedy is shutdown restart, sometimes it takes multiple restarts. Also without restarting if I make a major change in the wifi adapter settings that cause the wifi adapter to reload it will sometimes come back to full speed. Could be memory leak or somehow switching from AC to another format. I did set the wifi adapter to only use 802.11A mode and it did the same thing.

I'm using a TP-Link Archer 9 wifi router and the tablet is connecting in AC mode. This behaviour can happen within 2 ft of the router

The tablet is a cherrytrail chipset and does not allow the power management of the wifi adapter to be turned off, I've even tried registry tweaks to turn it off and that did not work.

0 Kudos
MDave3
Beginner

You can close this thread out I'm returing the Tablet to much of a headache, the wifi adapter issue is part of the reason, you guys need to fix this adapter as it is an unreliable hunk of junk. I tried at least 5 different driver packages and even upgraded the tablet to Win 10 and it still had issues each driver package introduced some new annoying issue relating to wifi being unreliable. Their were other buggy issues about the tablet so I just got tried of fighting it since it was nearly impossible to get working like it should.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

swanlee597,

We have recently come up with the latest driver version 18.40.0 for this adapter. You are welcome to try and let us know if it helped you resolve the issue, here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25834/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*. File Name: Wireless_18.40.0_PROSet64_Win8.1.exe

You can proceed as follows:

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

4. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

If you prefer, you can also have live assistance from one of our technicians by choosing one of our other form of contact such as chat or phone call. This link will help you find your nearest Intel Contact Center: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

0 Kudos