Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

AC-7265 failure after applying Windows 10 ver 1511 update

RHoro
Beginner

On 2 separate HP Spectre 360 4205dx laptops the WI-FI card ceases to function after the ver 1511 update to Windows 10 gets applied. The version of the driver that

is being used is 18.12.03. Would using the latest driver fix this issue ? Is this a known issue ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CKawa
Beginner

Hi all,

Thanks for the the instructions and hints. I had the same problem with three brand new HP Spectre Laptops with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 that I just purchased over the holidays, between Dec 24 to this weekend. I thought this was a hardware error and returned two units - what a giant waste of time! I had to do 2 extra trips to the store, and re-install my software (Office, Project, Visio etc) each time. Also included a call to MSFT, because my software license activations were used up. This time, I dug in BEFORE doing any windows updates set a restore point, made a recovery disk. Still had the same problem - updates to Window 10 Home v1511 Build 10586 caused the WLAN driver to fail! Or, it was the Windows Update KB3124266 - I did the both at the same time.

The HP does not have a LAN connection, so I was kind of worried. Based on the instructions above, I downloaded the current driver set onto another computer, and transferred it via a USB drive. Then, rebooted the HP and double clicked the EXE drivers on the USB drive. This appears to have fixed the problem. I'll update this if I have other news.

I shudder to think how average consumers would deal with this, I'm a highly experienced computer person, and this was a big challenge for me. After the first two computers failed, I googled a lot but did not run into this forum, I did not search for the right keywords I guess. Of course the sales people at Best Buy were no help. "we have not heard anything about this...you must have had a fluke hardware problem."

I used driver version 18.30.0 available from this link below. It was not obvious to find, the prior posting pointed to older driver versions.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25603/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10

Seems like Intel/Microsoft & OEMS should work a bit more closely so that Intel provides the drivers bundled when Microsoft does an update. Or, Intel should provide an "Intel Updates" system, like Windows Update, and the drivers should push out before the Microsoft updates. In my case, the forced Microsoft Update broke the system, just a few days out of the box. How are we as users supposed to know to update drivers? And when? And I found it was not even easy to find the right versions of the drivers at that...

Hope this helps everyone out there!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
56 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ranjo105,

Intel recommends that you always obtain the latest driver from your computer manufacturer:http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support Websites in order to make sure all the latest features and functionalities can be used properly. As a second option, you can try our latest drivers version 18.30.0 found in this link as it contains important updates: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25603/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 - File Name: Wireless_18.30.0__PROSet_64.exe

Spartannl
Novice

Same issue here on Intel NUC5i7RYB, with Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC-7265 and running on Windows 10 Pro, version 1511.

Disabling/enabling the adapter did not work.

Latest WLAN adapter driver installed, v18.30.0.9. incl. reboot.

Device manager: "This device is working properly"...

But I can't connect as there are "No Wi-Fi networks found".

No further settings have been changed locally.

All other devices are able to connect to private WiFi network (e.g. iPad, Samsung Galaxy S2, HP Envy 5530 MFP).

The only thing I can think of that must be causing this, would indeed be the recent cumulative Windows 10 update to v1511.

Moreover, this also seems to impact the Intel Wireless Bluetooth facility on my NUC.

It has become unavailable at the same time, also here "The device is working properly" and also after re-enabling and driver update (to 17.1.1532.1814) and a reboot.

Hope this gets fixed soon!

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

There have been subsequent updates to ver1511 since it came out. Supposedly, the last one fixes WI-FI problems,

however, once your WI-FI goes out how do you get them ?

0 Kudos
Spartannl
Novice

My NUC is connected to LAN as well, fortunately

I receive Windows updates automatically and as I'm now writing this from my iPad, I'm pretty sure that the latest (cumulative v1511) updates have been installed on my WIN 10 NUC.

Hence, if these last updates were supposed to have solved this WiFi (and hopefully also the Bluetooth) issue, then I'm affraid I must disappoint Microsoft...

For you I hope the issue has been resolved, but as this is not (yet) the case for me, I'd surely like to read an Intel response here too, as in my case this issue impacts all Intel products... (Intel NUC and Intel WLAN-, Bluetooth adapters/drivers)...

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

You do not have to guess. Do a windows key + R and type in "winver".

See if the Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.36) is present, if so you do, if not you don't.

Just ver1511 is build 10586, then it went .3, .11, .14, .17, .29, .36

There have been 6 updates after the base as of 12/17/15.

Lucky you are also LAN atached, I am not so lucky.

0 Kudos
Spartannl
Novice

It's the OS Build 10586.36...

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

That's the latest, did you try looking to see what the status of the WLAN service is ? Some people got it working

by starting it since it was stopped.

0 Kudos
Spartannl
Novice

WLAN- & Bluetooth services stopped and restarted, NUC also restarted, unfortunately to no avail.

The services and their settings:

Here are the connections:

And here's the Wi-Fi verdict...(still)

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

Did you try running the Troubleshooter ?

0 Kudos
Spartannl
Novice

^^ I suspect you mean the Microsoft troubleshooter for VPN.

Well, I tried the manual fix earlier after browsing WWW, but just now decided (indeed) to download this fix, but also no positive outcome on that sadly enough..

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

I meant Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Troubleshooting > All Categories then

select "Network Adapter", but I suspect this would not help.

Some people have had success with changing the BIOS back to the default settings.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Ranjo105,

Please try version 18.21.0 and let us know the results: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25514/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 file name: Wireless_18.21.0_t64.exe

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

I have updated to 18.30. You are saying to go back 2 versions ?

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

my mistake, it came with 18.12, I put on 18.30 and the one after 12 and before 20 was 21

0 Kudos
Spartannl
Novice

ranjo105 wrote:

I meant Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Troubleshooting > All Categories then

select "Network Adapter", but I suspect this would not help.

Some people have had success with changing the BIOS back to the default settings.

Did that, chose all adapters, result:

I did not change BIOS -my NUC based Cirrus7 is almost new- and would not take such a step unless it would be absolutely necessary...

Hope that Aleki will help us further and resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
Spartannl
Novice

aleki_intel wrote:

Ranjo105,

Please try version 18.21.0 and let us know the results: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25514/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 file name: Wireless_18.21.0_t64.exe

Uninstalled device, driver included, downloaded the exe.file, ran as administrator, installation Proset success.

Then checked device manager (installation driver OK, correct version 18.21), device running properly.

Checked WiFi network listing, also after reboot, no result unfortunately, still "No Wi-Fi networks found".

Now I'm off to celebrate X-mas! Have fun guys!

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

At which point will it become absolutely necessary ?

0 Kudos
RHoro
Beginner

Some people had success with the following command from the admin command prompt:

netcfg -v -u -dni_dne

0 Kudos
Spartannl
Novice

A philosophical question that is....

The Run As Admin command did not work out, by the way...

Time to throw in the towel and hope that LAN will remain available.

Hopefully Intel (or Microsoft themselves) will nevertheless recognize this issue and come up with a solution/update etc.

Off to celebrate Boxing day now, thanks for the effort, time, support from your side ranjo105!

0 Kudos