Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC-7265 or Its Drivers Do Not Allow Bluetooth Mouse to Wake Computer

PSmit10
Beginner

I have an HP Envy laptop with the Intel AC-7265 wireless adapter built in. The OS is Windows 10, 64-bit, latest version (1803).

With the latest driver available on the OEM (HP) website, which is 20.20.0.5, it is impossible for a Bluetooth mouse to wake the computer from sleep. As you can see below, under Device Manager I can disallow the computer from shutting off the Wireless Bluetooth to save energy, but I cannot allow the device to wake the computer, as that option is greyed out. I am no expert, but I presume this may be a driver issue.

Would any of the newer drivers available on the Intel website resolve this problem? Is there a reason that the newer drivers are not available through the computer manufacturer's website, such some form of incompatibility?

Any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Samurai-73,

Thanks for posting in the communities, we will be glad to help you resolve this issue. As we understand, the option to "Allow this device to wake the computer" is grayed out for the Bluetooth* component of your Wireless adapter. There may be different reasons for this behavior, driver issues being one of them. As you suggested, since this is an HP computer, we strongly recommend engaging them for support and drivers. Your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer can customize drivers and software to enable or alter features, or provide improved operation on your computer.

As first step, you can try a clean installation of our generic version of the Bluetooth® driver:

1. Download and save our version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27867/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=83635 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10* [20.60.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs, and uninstall the Intel® Wireless Bluetooth Software.

3. Check Device Manager - Bluetooth, if the Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® driver is still installed, proceed to uninstall and mark the option to delete the driver software for this device.

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older Bluetooth* driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. After the Bluetooth software is removed, you can install the driver you downloaded before.

Alternatively, if the generic driver does not solve the issue, you can try the same process using the driver from HP Support.

It is important to mention that the setting "Allow this device to wake the computer" is not available if the system is configured to remove power from the Bluetooth* device when the PC goes into low power states. This can be done in the BIOS of your computer, or through Windows* configurations.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
PSmit10
Beginner

Hello Jonathan B., and thanks for the reply.

I followed your steps, removing the previous driver and replacing it with 20.60.0. The process went smoothly and quickly.

However, the new driver has NOT corrected the problem. My Power Management options for the adapter remain the same (i.e., I have unchecked the box to allow the computer to turn off the Bluetooth adapter, but the option to allow it to wake the computer remains greyed out). In addition, although not shown in my previous message, as before there is no Power Management tab under the properties of the Bluetooth mouse itself to allow it to wake the computer.

I am not sure where else to look within Windows 10 to find options that may impact the Bluetooth adapter operation, but wherever I have looked, the settings appear to be appropriate. Please note that I was able to wake the computer with my previous wireless mouse that used a wireless USB dongle for connection, but I intentionally replaced it with a BT mouse to free up a USB port. I can also wake the computer by pressing a key on the keyboard and by touching the touchpad, but I cannot wake it via the BT mouse.

Also note that during a reboot I did enter the BIOS setup but could not find any settings related to power management - unless there are hidden settings that require special access that I am unaware of.

As you have suggested I try the latest driver, which I have done, I presume that the problem is not driver-related. Does that make sense?

Should I also then presume that the problem is a limitation due to HP's implementation of the Intel adapter?

Your assistance and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Samurai-73,

The Computer Manufacturer can customize drivers and software to enable or alter features, or provide improved operation on your computer. We have seen cases before where the Power Management tab is disabled.

As we mentioned before, in some cases there may be an option in the BIOS to allow USB or Bluetooth to wake the computer. In this case, since the option is not available, we advise you to check with HP support about this, or if they may provide any additional recommendations.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos