Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

AC - 8260 - Connectivity Issues

NWins1
Beginner

I have a 2 week old laptop with a an 8260 adapter which has caused me nothing but stress from day 1. I suspect this is driver related and hope it will be resolved, but wanted to post here to give some visibility to this as the adapter is still relatively new. I haven't been able to pickup on what causes the issue, at times it seems as though after periods of extended sleep it will happen. I've also noticed it happens more on battery but I've also had it happen while plugged in. The adapter may work fine for several hours, then suddenly starts dropping connectivity even though it has been in the same location all along.

Scenario 1:

• During browsing, my browser will return a DNS error however my wifi connectivity icon shows full bars. Checking the network adapter shows that it has been disabled on its own. Attempting to re-enable it fails as it says enabling then reverts back to disabled. Eventually, after 3-5 minutes connectivity may be restored but it will continue to lose connectivity every 5 minutes or so until I reboot. Once the adapter goes into this "poor reception state", it will drop connectivity regularly until I restart.

Scenario 2:

• Randomly, the WiFi icon will suddenly show an exclamation mark next to the Wifi icon. The adapter also shows disabled and wont re-enable in network settings. In this scenario, wifi does not restore until I reboot the machine.

Some details:

I am using Intel Dual Band AC-8260 adapter running windows 10 on Skylake Architechture.

Using the latest 18.0.33 Drivers

I have tried this workaround, but the behavior still seems to persist again at random times (Power Saving = Maximum Performance).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152

Here are some of the events that I see being logged regularly when the adapter starts misbehaving:

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\IWMSSvc.dll

WLAN AutoConfig detected limit connectivity, performing Reset/Recover.adapter.

Code: 2 0xDEADDEED 0xEEEC

The description for Event ID 7002 from source Netwtw02 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP6

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

36 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Nealius,

There are no known reports that the would link issues with Skylake platform. Have you tried a clean uninstall and install the drivers again? We recommend that you try the OEM's first and as a second option, you can try our latest version (18.33.0) available in our support site. Please do the following:

1. Download and save https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25798/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 File name: Wireless_17.16.0_s64.exe

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
NWins1
Beginner

Thanks, however I am already running those drivers 18.33.0.1. My manufacturer has advised me to use the generic Intel drivers. They have not published any OEM drivers.

I have noticed that the issue seems to occur after sleep. If you restart the machine, the issue does not occur until the machine enters connected standby/sleep. Once it wakes up, immediately I start seeing these types of entries in event viewer. Eventually the connectivity will fail.

The description for Event ID 7002 from source Netwtw02 cannot be found.

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Once the connectivity starts failing, this screenshot captures the overall experience:

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

nealius,

We have recently released a new driver version. Please try it out. For your convenience here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=8260 Drivers & Software

Let us know if this new version worked for you.

0 Kudos
MBurg3
Beginner

I am having the same problem with this card (AC 8260) on a brand new Lenovo P70. It's driving me nuts. I am running on the latest driver 18.40.4.2.

Event Viewer log:

Please look into it.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Martijn.Burgers,

Is this wireless adapter installed by factory or was it installed later?

Does this happen when you roam?

Are you doing any specific tasks when disconnection occurs?

Please, provide as much details as possible about this situation so we can assist you.

Best regard,

Aleki

0 Kudos
MBurg3
Beginner

Hi Aleki_Intel,

The wireless adapter is installed by factory. No it doesn't happen when I am roaming.

It's basically happening at random during use but most of the time I see it happen when I come back to my laptop after a random amount of time. During this time my laptop was not idle and running heavy processes.

I already uninstalled, reinstalled all drivers, disabled power management, no luck whatsoever.

I am seeing the same behavior as nealiusdescribed. After the adapter goes is a strange unknown state (adapter disabled, but Wifi icon still shows it's connected but with an exclamation mark) my browser Chrome becomes unresponsive as well. Enabling the adapter doesn't work. I have to reboot the computer which takes unusual long time.

When does NDIS decides to begin resetting the NIC?

Gr

Martijn

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Martijn.Burgers,

What is your OS version?

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
MBurg3
Beginner

aleki_intel,

Windows 10 Enterprise (10.0.10586).

Over the weekend I will try another WIFI router and update my current router which is a FRITZ!Box 7360 with firmware 6.30.

Gr

Martijn

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Martijn.Burgers,

Intel recommends to obtain the latest driver from the computer manufacturer first. If this situation still persists, as a second you can try our generic drivers. We have just released new ones for this adapter. The version is 19.0.1 which contain a lot of improvements. Could please try it and let us know if this situation is resolved? For your convenience, here is the link to it. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26148/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 - The driver version for this adapter found in this package is: 19.0.1.1 - *Please, make sure to download the one according to your OS architecture 32 or 64 Bit

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
MBurg3
Beginner

The new driver doesn't fix the problem.

Last Thursday I tested with the driver 18.40.4.2 on an new location (work) with a different router. I ran without problems for a full day.

Last Friday I tested with the driver 19.0.1.1 on an new location (work) with a different router. I ran without problems for a full day.

Back home on Saturday I upgraded the firmware of my FRITZ!Box 7360 router to version 6.52. I ran without problems for 1.5 days before the problem showed itself again.

EDIT 1: I just bumped into the problem within one hour after a fresh reboot at home. This time, after requesting a new reboot, I waited to see how long it would take to do the reboot, normally I went away for some coffee, but this time I didn't and I noticed that the OS isn't able to perform the reboot and it crashed (BSOD) with a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error. If you want I can provide Intel the memory dump.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Martijn.Burgers,

Yes please, send us the full memory dump so we can take a look.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
MBurg3
Beginner

Aleki,

The link to the dump is available for 30 days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq86lvt3weq1wp5/MEMORY.DMP?dl=0 MEMORY.DMP

I have the feeling it happens more often when I am on battery (not plugged in).

Gr

Martijn

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Martijn.Burgers,

Thank you. We are going to take a look and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
MBurg3
Beginner

I bought a new USB Wifi adapter and it seems to have the same problem. So it's not Intel related it seems. So in my case it's either a Windows 10 issue, a FRITZ!Box 7360 issue or a combination. In the next couple of weeks I will disable the FRITZ!Box 7360 WLAN and buy a new access point.

0 Kudos
PCudm
Beginner

Hi Aleki / Intel support,

I'm having exactly the same problem as in this thread. I have the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and my router is a BT Home Hub v3. I'm using the latest drivers 19.1.0.4 and have tried just about every suggestion I can find on the net.

Are there any updates on this??

Thanks,

Pete.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Martijn.Burgers,

Let us know the results. if you need any more assistance form us regarding the adapter, please let us now.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Pete_WC,

Each network has its own unique environment. Have you consulted with the router manufacturer first for any specific configuration?

If this adapter is the one installed by factory, please contact the computer manufacturer first and check if they have any available driver update that might resolve this situation. As soon as you can please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
PCudm
Beginner

Hi,

After further research, I now suspect this is some strange subtle incompatibility with my aging BT home hub 3 router and Windows 10. I have just ordered the latest router model, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Regards,

Pete.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Pete_WC,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know this. Should you need any further assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
MSap
Beginner

Aleki,

I got exactly the same issue as reported by Martjin for my brand new intel NUC which uses built-in AC8260 Adapter, I have updated to the latest driver and still randomly encounter Dns probe issue(there was an exclamation mark on the WiFi icon). Honestly, I have the same problem with my Lenovo X240 with AC7260 Adapter which makes me upset about the unstable WiFi connections. My router is just purchased half year ago so, other computers and mobile phone does not have this issue.

Both of the machines are running Windows 10.

Best regards,

macsap

0 Kudos