Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

AC 8260 GUI under Win 7 but not Win 10

MRisc1
Beginner

Hey,

I updated to Win 10 x64 today(well, not sure yet if a good decision) from Win 7 x64. Using the AC 8260 and the latest ProSet Drivers, I always had the green icon in my tray and the GUI to use the Intel software to connect to the WiFI.

After changing to Win 10 I installed the drivers and the GUI did not show up again.

I tried the Win 7 x64 version and...

- Win 7 & 10 19.50

- ...... 19.40

- ...... and the 18.40 for Win 7 (which it came with)

- the version for IT Admins

I googled, and the only suggestion was to either try the IT Admins version or the enterprise version, which I did not find a download link for.

Well long story short I want this back if somehow possible on Win10 x64? ->

When I open the Networkcenter I see the option "Intel PROSet/Wireless Tools", however clicking it only opens the ability to import profiles.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Regards,

riscmi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello riscmi,

You're correct. In Windows® 10, the Intel® PROSet Wireless Software and Drivers is mostly just a drivers bundle. While you're still able to use the IT Administrator software to create and import/export wireless profiles, your OS will not natively allow other software to manage wireless connections.

There have been some reports where users will modify the installer package plus some registry keys in order to continue using or WiFi Connection Utility, but this is not something that we can recommend or support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MRisc1
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

The problem for me is however, that Windows' 10 native ability to handle invisible and/or multiple Wifi's is pretty much terrible, close to non existent(in a quick & and easy way).

On top of it I can't even see if the connection is actually ok, bad or good. Windows 10 shows full bars, while in reality it's not(well not a big deal, but it's bugging me).

That is why I need the software.

I will try to find and use the not recommended way. Getting the feeling Windows 10 was a horrible idea.

Thank you for your time!

Regards,

riscmi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

riscmi,

Just like Windows XP* to 7, it's a big change that takes some getting used to (or at least it was for me).

Remember that if you performed an upgrade installation, you should still have some time where you're allowed to simply roll back to Windows* 7:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows® 10.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

If there's anything else we can do to help, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MRisc1
Beginner

Thanks for your answer!

I simply decided to grab a standalone (non-install) third party tool to take care of it if I can't use the Intel software.

//

Regarding Win 10: I had less issues switching from XP to 7. In 10 I couldn't even use the Startmenu properly, privacy issues or the fact that it took me almost one day to turn my user into a real administrator(hey, I am of legal age ), or the p2p sharing(hi, I only have 1mbit upload depending where I am). Sticky corners(3 monitors, impossible).

Luckily there are ways to bypass everything and fix it. Except the sticky corners....

//

Regards,

riscmi

0 Kudos