Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

AC 8260 New Installation Issues

MSadi
Beginner

I recently put this module in a brand new computer, and installed Windows 10.. No noticed I had Wifi but no Bluetooth... No worries, drivers and updates were installing. Well, after that happened and the computer rebooted, I have Bluetooth, but no WIFI... I have tried downloading/reinstalling the latest drivers and removing the Bluetooth device with no luck. I always end up with Bluetooth and no wifi; I have a couple of unknown Intel devices but can't seem to get those to do anything.

The only thing I can think of now is to remove all of the Intel drivers that windows update installed because honestly I'd rather have wifi than Bluetooth. Below are the drivers it put on there...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello NW1,

We understand you're having issues getting both WiFi and Bluetooth® enabled simultaneously.

Instead of simply updating, let's try a clean installation of both of these drivers to discard any possible corruption issues.

1. Download and save the latest Windows® 10 drivers for your adapter:
    1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27622 Bluetooth®
    2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27615 Wi-Fi
  2. Under Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software" and "Intel® Wireless Bluetooth®." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."
  3. Manually uninstall your drivers:
    1. Bluetooth®: Go to the Device Manager > Bluetooth® > Right click on your Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."
    2. WiFi: Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."
  4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.
  5. Reboot your computer.
  6. Install the drivers previously downloaded back in step one. Installing the Bluetooth® package first, followed by the wireless driver.

If this doesn't help, please share an Intel® System Support Utility report

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU
  2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."
  3. Save and name the report.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MSadi
Beginner

Thanks for your help Carlos,

I have followed your steps, except for 3.2 .. there is no wireless adapter to remove. The only thing that I notice different is that now under network adapters I have a couple of Bluetooth devices that were not listed before... still no wireless device.

The SSU file is attached, although I can't run it while on Wifi... because there is no Wifi.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NW1,

Since the adapter disappeared after a set of Windows* updates, we can try a system restore to a previous date. This won't be a fix, but rather a troubleshooting step to discard hardware issues.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows® 10 by Microsoft* Support.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows* update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won't affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

1. Select the Start button, type Control Panel and then choose it from the list of results.
  2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the restore point dated before the issue began, and then select Next > Finish.

If the system restore gets your adapter to be detected again, go ahead and install the latest drivers one more time and see if the adapter is still detected once the updates are eventually reinstalled.

If the system restore does not help, this could be hardware related. If it does not void your warranty, and you're comfortable dissembling your PC, you may do so in order to physically remove and reconnect the wireless adapter, to confirm it is properly seated on it's slot. Otherwise you may want to engage your computer manufacturer for hardware support/replacement.

Either way, please let us know your results.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MSadi
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I have already tried reinstalling Windows all together and it didn't help. I'll try re-seating it and if that doesn't work I'll try and get a replacement.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NW1,

If reinstalling your operating system did not help, it may indicate that the issue wasn't caused by the Windows* update.

It is possible for one of the modules (wi-fi, or bluetooth®) to fail while the other does not. If reseating the adapter doesn't bring it back from the dead, then hardware replacement will be your best option.

To avoid compatibility issues, we always recommend purchasing the replacement part directly from your computer manufacturer whenever possible.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos