Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

AC-9260 compatibility with H370

TeeBee
Beginner

I have a Dell Optiplex with the H370 chipset and have attemted to install a wireless PCIe NIC that is host to an AC-9260 and, while the UEFI BIOS detects a networking device in the x1 slots, it isn't seen by Windows 10. It is picked up in Windows if inserted in the x16 slot, but won't start with a Code 10.

Is there a compatibility issue between these two chipsets? I have tried looking at documentation, but am a little out of my depth.

I understand from reading another experience with the 3070 that the 9260 is seen in Windows 10 if removed from the riser and plugged directly into an M.2. but I am not certain if it was working correctly.

Update: I now have a wireless AC card with a non-Intel chipset running out the the PCIe x1 slots, which works out of the box without the need for additional drivers. Dell documentation states that the AC-9260 is compatible with the 3070, though they do specify the two other form factors and not the mini tower that I have, but I am assuming this is just because of the practicalities of routing mobile wireless antennas through a tower case, as the rest of the spec is pretty much the same.

So, it looks like the m.2 part of the card will work if connected directly to an M.2 port and (some) other PCIe cards work if connected to the PCIe x1 slots, but not the card that I have. I should have said before that the card that I have that hosts the AC-9260 is a Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TeeBee

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding the issue described and your concerns, it is worth mentioning that the compatibility inquiry should be addressed directly to your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), in this case, DELL™ since they are the ones that have all the technical details of your system and they should be able to provide a Qualified Vendor List (QVL) of supported spare parts. OEMs may limit the computer to only specific wireless adapters, causing an installation error when booting, and your OEM can customize drivers and software to enable or alter features, or provide improved operation which generic drivers from Intel® or different OEM drivers may not address properly.

Installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. For more details please refer to Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

However, we would like to gather more details of your environment to check this issue. Please kindly provide the following information:

1- Details of the steps you have tried and the drivers you have tested (for instance, Dell's driver versions):

2- Screenshot from Windows® >> Device Manager >> Network Adapters:

3- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

3.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

3.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

3.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TeeBee

If you need further assistance, please let us know and kindly provide the information requested and the Intel® SSU report.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
TeeBee
Beginner

Hello AndrewG,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply, and sorry for my delayed response, I have been committed elsewhere.

I have been in communication with Dell and Gigabyte and both passed the buck (Dell said the card is not supported, even though they sell cards with the 9260 on this range and Gigabyte said it was Dell's issue and washed their hands), which is disappointing. The fact that the NIC was only visible in the BIOS and not the OS when plugged into the x1 makes me believe that the issue was at a lower level than the driver, and without cooperation from Dell and Gigabyte I am at an impasse.

The PCs in question are now installed at my clients premises and I had to purchase alternate NICs with a Realtek chipset. I can still obtain all of the driver information for the Dell, Gigabyte and Intel drivers that I used if you think it would be useful to help understand why the device would not start when plugged into an x16 and none of the drivers were able to install on the device, but something tells me you won't be able to garner much from these details.

If you feel that the level of information I can supply may be useful I will collect and post it, as I would be intested in finding the root cause. Otherwise, thanks again for your response.

Tony

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TeeBee,

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

Regarding your concern, since the manufacturer of the computer DELL™ said that the card is not supported for this PC and as you pointed out you believe that the issue was at a lower level than the driver, this actually seems to be a hardware-related/compatibility issue since computer manufactures may limit systems to only specific wireless adapters, also, they can be subject to country-specific legal regulations and as well required customized drivers and software to enable or alter features.

Having said that, this is not related to a driver issue but an integration issue and we think it may not worth the effort for you to collect the logs, also considering you already manage to have the PC working with other NIC.

At this point, what we can recommend is to check with your OEM (DELL™) regarding a list of supported Wireless Cards for this PC since they were able to confirm that the one in question was not supported.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos