Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AC3160 bluetooth can't discover some devices.

STorc
Beginner

Hello,

HP x360 13-s000ur laptop, win10 x64, latest bluetooth drivers 19.41.0.1 from Intel with update utility. In device manager driver looks good (no alarms, "working properly" status). When trying to add new device - adapter doesn't discover it at all. I've tried with logitech mouse m557 and logitech k480 keyboard and some noname bluetooth speaker. All mentioned devices work fine with smartphone. Adapter once descovered some TV from my neighbors but not my mouse.

I've tried all typical trics with reinstalling driver, disabling power management and tuning bluetooth service in Win10. No luck. In Ubuntu on the same laptop - adapter discovers mouse, but fails during pairing. I believe it's driver issue. Is there something I can do to get my logitech mouse to work on Win10?

Sorry, UPD:

I've tried one more time to discover and pair mouse in Ubuntu (same laptop), and, by accident found out that it works, but only if very close to laptop's bottom. I've, litterally, placed laptop over the mouse and it worked good. But it's not working anywhere near the laptop, in normal position.

I went back to win10 and placed mouse ander the bottom - adapter discovers mouse, but fails to connect.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Serhii_T,

We understand that your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 is not detecting Bluetooth* devices correctly. The behavior you describe suggests bad wireless signal, which is often related to hardware or interference. Here are some items for your consideration:

- Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

- Try disabling WiFi, or using a 5 GHz connection, then check if the situation improves.

If the issue persists at this point, we advise you to contact the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, since it may be due to a lose antenna connector, or faulty hardware.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
STorc
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, the powermanagement tuning didn't help. I'll try to investigate possible hardware problem. I guess it's unlikely the antenna issue, because adapter has only one antena and wi-fi works fine.

Thanks againe,

Best regards,

Serhii

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Serhii_T,

The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 can use 2 antennas, to our knowledge, both are required for proper operation. We advise you to check on this with the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support since a single antenna is not a standard configuration.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
STorc
Beginner

Thank you! It's clear now. I do have only one antenna in my laptop. I don't know why HP did this. When I've switched antenna to the port1 - bluetooth working range became normal, but wi-fi connection was lost. Now it's obvious.

Best regards,

Serhii

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Serhii,

We are glad to be of assistance and we hope you are able to resolve this with HP support.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
STorc
Beginner

UPD: I've ordered a small internal antenna for AC3160 from Aliexpress and installed into free spot with double-sided glue tape. It solved the problem successfully, despite far from optimal antenna positioning. I've decided to write it here in case someone will face similar issue. Thanks for your help once more.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Serhii,

Thanks for letting us know. We are happy to know the issue was resolved. This will be very helpful for other users as well.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos