Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AC7260 crashes sporadically since Windows 10 Anniversary update

JCray1
Beginner

Hello,

Background

==========

My AC7260 wireless adapter crashes sporadically since updating to Win10 Anniversary update. At least it began to occur around that time and no other changes were made to the system. Previous to that the system was running fine for 1+ year.

Experience

=========

When the crash happens I lose wireless network connectivity. I am unable to disable/re-enable via Device Manager because it hangs. Sometimes I am unable to Restart or Shutdown Windows. When this happens either option displays the 'working' circle showing Restarting or Shutting Down indefinitely. In all cases to restore connectivity I must hard shutdown the machine using the power button.

If the crash happens and I leave the machine long enough, Bluetooth served by the AC7260 is also taken down rendering my bluetooth mouse and keyboard unresponsive.

I am able to see indicative events in the Event Viewer that state the AC7260 adapter is beginning to restart itself. These events are always logged upon failure event.

Information provided

=================

I am running a Lenovo Tiny M desktop. I have attached output from SSU, an extract of the relevant Event Viewer entries and screen shots of the driver versions.

I have tried

=========

1- Rolling back drivers one version at a time, opting to remove the device driver from the system upon rollback. Leaving the system on each driver version for a few days to observe. In all cases the crash reproduces itself excep..

2- ... when rolling back all the way to 22-Feb-2015 (17.15.0.5) which worked for a few months but recently the issue reoccured.

3- I tried installing the latest 5-Apr-2017 (18.33.7.2) and experienced the same issue.

4- Checked the recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity.

Please help as this seems to be a driver issue given that nothing has changed on the machine (HW or SW) except for Windows version and Intel AC7260 driver versions.

Thank you,

J

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jcray,

We understand your system is having crashes and connectivity issues after Windows® 10 updates. Here are some items for your consideration:

- In addition to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26782/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=75439 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10* [19.60.0], make sure you are using https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26779/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10-?product=75439 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10* [19.60.0].

- Check for Windows* updates, and make sure KB4022716 is installed, this was just released by Microsoft* and addresses some networking issues.

- The SSU log does not show information about the wireless network, please get a new log after these actions when the adapter is working well in the network.

If the issue persists, please let us know the following information:

- Access point model and firmware version.

- Which type of Wireless authentication and security are your using in the network?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

Thanks.

I tried to install Intel BT 19.60.0 but Windows said that I already had the most up to date driver. I've attached a screenshot of the Device Manager driver version that is reported. I did not have KB4022716 installed but did so. After installing it I had a stable wireless connection for about 36 hours and the issue returned. Nothing changed on my end. Very odd.

I've taken a new SSU log with wireless connected.

My access point is a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1950 with firmware 3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n and hardware version Archer C7 v2 00000000. I am running WPA/WPA2 - Personal on both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jcray,

In this case we advise you to perform a clean installation of the Wireless driver and software by following these steps:

1. You can use the driver from the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support as first option, if the issue persists please try the generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26782/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=75439 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.60.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

If the system still experiences connectivity issue, please disable Bluetooth*, this is normally done with hardware switch in the system or with a key combination, it may also be done from Windows* settings.

Let us know if the issue is resolved after these actions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

I first uninstalled the Intel Pro Wireless and Bluetooth software, I ran cleanmgr and cleared the temp files and finally uninstalled the bluetooth and wireless drivers making sure to select remove drivers from system until no longer possible.

I went to the Lenovo support website and downloaded the latest available drivers for both components but am getting the same result of sporadic disconnection.

I then tried to disable Bluetooth via the device manager (I have no switch on my desktop) but still had a wifi connection issues.

Are there other suggestions? Other logs that I can look at? Anything I can enable debug mode on?

J

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jcray,

We've received reports very similar to yours from other users. As reported, this issue seems to span across different adapter models and driver versions (as well as non-Intel adapters), the only connection being Windows® 10 version 1703. Currently there is no guaranteed solution, but some steps have been provided by Microsoft* which seem to help in most cases. Please test the following:

Method 1: Disable Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC). Your adapter does not support this feature and shouldn't be enabled. Because of this, you may be unable to complete these steps. If that happens, don't worry, just skip to the next set.

1. Open a Command Prompt using administrator privileges (Right click on the start menu, select "Command Prompt (admin)" from the list).

2. Start powershell session by writing in "powershell" and pressing enter.

3. Find your adapter's name: Get-NetAdapter

4. Note your adapter's name (mine is Wi-Fi)

5. View your current Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC) settings, mostly for reference: get-adapterrsc

6. Disable RSC: disable-netadapterrsc -name Wi-Fi (or your adapter name from step 3, if it's more than one work, use quotations, ie "wi-fi 2").

7. Make sure changes have been made: get-netadapter rsc (everything should say "false" now).

Method 2: Lower Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size.

1. Open a new Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Find your adapter's name again: netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

3. Note your adapter's name under Interface, mine is Wi-Fi.

4. Set your Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size to 1400: netsh interface ipv4 subinterface Wi-Fi mtu=1400 store=persistent

- Note: If your adapter name has more than one word, you will need to write it in quotations. For example: "Wi-Fi 2" or "Wireless Network Connection".

5. You should receive a simple output stating "Ok." after which you may close your command prompt and test your adapter.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

Thanks Carlos.

I was unable to disable RSC. I triple checked what I was typing and that I opened the Command Prompt as Admin but this is what I see.

I was able to set the MTU to 1400 but a few minutes later the issue re-appeared.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jcray,

Don't worry, as we mentioned, it was possible for those commands not to work since you're on Aniversary Update, not Creators Update.

Since your issue is still occuring we can try the following:

1. Right click on start menu, select Power Options.

2. Select your power plan and click on Change plan settings, then on Change advanced power settings.

3. Expand the Wireless Adapter Settings, then Power Saving Mode.

4. Set both on battery and plugged in to Maximum Performance.

5. Repeat for any other power plans that you use regularly.

If after this your issue hasn't gone away, we can test using a driver only installation:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26785/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t Wireless_19.60.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait) and press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Correction, I am running Creators Update. The issue began with Anniversary Update but rolling back to 17.15.0.5 was the solution. That solution no longer works with Creators Update. I am currently running Windows 10 1703 Build 15063.447.

The power settings on my desktop are already set to Max Performance for the wireless adapter.

Before contacting Intel I had installed the driver only package of 19.60.0 but had the same issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jcray,

There have been some recent updates and we would recommend to apply the following:

- Check for Windows* updates and make sure you OS has the latest patches.

- Perform a clean installation of our latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=94854 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10* [19.70.0], that includes drivers for Windows 10 Creators Update (RS2).

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

1- downloaded 19.70.0 from the link in the last post

2- uninstalled existing PROSet software and drivers

3- confirmed driver that remained was 17.15.0.5

4- ran cleanmgr and wiped temporary files

5- installed 19.70.0 which requested a reboot

6- once rebooted confirmed that 18.33.7.2 was installed for my AC7260

7- had machine connected to access point for about 15 minutes before getting disconnected with same behavior as I've described previously

What changed in 19.70.0? I can't seem to find the release notes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jcray,

It does seem like you're experiencing the same issue as the one reported in /thread/113634 https://communities.intel.com/thread/113634. If this is the case, we don't have a fix yet, as it's an OS sided issue (doesn't affect all 7260 systems, affects several non-Intel adapters equally). But we are working with Microsoft* to fix the problem.

So far, we can recommend setting your adapter to Wireless-N mode, or using the inbox driver as a workaround. This does not resolve the issue, as it's driver independent, but it will keep it from occurring as often.

To use the inbox driver you'll simply need to uninstall your wireless driver until you're using the 17.15.0.5 version provided by Microsoft*.

Alternatively, you can open your adapter's properties from Device Manager, and in the advanced settings tab, set the HT Mode to "HT Mode." This will limit you to 802.11n.

As soon as the issue has been resolved, we will let you know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jcray,

We noticed that you're running a previous firmware on your access point. Could you please update it to the latest version and let us know if this makes any difference?

- http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Archer-C7_V2.html# Firmware Downloads for Archer C7 V2*

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JCray1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I was away on vacation and just returned.

There is no firmware update for this router in my region (Europe). The site explicitly says not to upgrade the firmware for incorrect regions. I saw there was a newer version for other regions.

Have there been any other updates in the past 4 weeks?

J

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jcray,

There are no new fixes yet. However, Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Wi-Fi Drivers version 19.71 should be released soon.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

Edit: Please check your private messages.
0 Kudos
JJone26
Beginner

Hey Carlos,

I have a Gigabyte BRIX BXBT-2807 with the AC 7260 card installed. The card worked well with Windows 8, 8.1 and the original version of Windows 10, but I had to revert to the 17.15.0.5 driver when the anniversary update was released. Now that I've applied the creators update it'll constantly crash at random in the exact same way it does for jcray.

I've tried clean installs of multiple drivers, changing all sorts of adapter settings, updating the BIOS and router firmware, reinstalling Windows 10 (with an updated ISO) and I've even tried the Insider builds. Nothing helps.

I've noticed that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba a large thread already exists on Microsofts website and that a few other Intel cards are having issues e.g. AC-3160, AC-7265 & AC-8260. Surely you can work with Microsoft to fix the problem?

I'm hoping that the 19.71.0 drivers fix the problem and I'd gladly test them, but at this point I won't hold my breath.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello reddit_user,

Thank you for the report.

We're aware of this bug and are currently working with Microsoft* to help facilitate a solution.

Once one is available, it will certainly be posted here as well as to all other active threads for this issue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

This issue is still under investigation. Once a solution is available, we will post to the following thread: /thread/113634 Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop hangs on Windows® 10 creator edition with IPv6 enabled

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

Any updates?

This problem is affecting a bunch of Intel 7260 systems. Connecting to 5Ghz is impossible even with the in-box Windows 10 driver.

0 Kudos