Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

AX 201: Neither Windows 10 nor Intel Driver & Support Assistant can detect the latest driver

tscan
Beginner

I have a MainGear laptop purchased July 2020 that comes with the AX 201 Wireless card. 

Since doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro using Windows Media Creation Tool about 1 month ago, there were non stop connection issues while using my VPN service. The service worked flawlessly with the OEM version of Win 10 installed before doing a clean install of Win 10 via Microsoft. 

Long story short, after several clean reinstalls of Win 10, the issue is that Windows kept installing OLD wireless drivers. Even while trying to update drivers in Device Manager, I would get the message "Windows has determined you already have the best drivers". 

Not only that, I also have Intel Driver & Support Assist installed and that utility does not detect a newer driver either. 

The driver Windows installs during the installation is almost a year older than my laptop. 

I found the latest available driver on Intel's Web Site for the AX 201:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30057/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?wapkw=22.10.0.7

Since installing this latest driver, there have been no disconnection issues, same as when I purchased the laptop. 

I'm wondering, if I can't trust a clean install of Windows 10 or the Intel Driver & Support Assist utility to detect the latest drivers for my Intel hardware, what then can I trust? How do I make sure my Intel parts are up to date? 

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello tscan,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system.

Laptops are highly customized systems. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer or through Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers.

The Intel* DSA will scan your system but just based on our generic drivers.

Our best recommendation is to contact MainGear, as the manufacturer, they are the ones who have to provide you with the customized drivers.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
tscan
Beginner

The word from MainGear support is that there is a known issue with the AX 201 regarding WIFI connectivity.

Maingear do not intend on releasing driver updates because they said Microsoft/Windows will eventually release updates for this wireless card via Windows Update. 

The drivers I downloaded from Intel are far more stable in the meantime though. 

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello tscan,

Many Equipment Manufacturers provide their customized drivers to be installed through Windows* Updates.

You can keep using the generic driver if it works well in your system, and keep checking the Manufacturer's drivers using the Microsoft/Windows updates.

If the Manufacturer's driver does not work well in your system, please keep reporting this to Main Gear so they can improve their customizations.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos