Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

AX200 - 20mhz only available

EricB
Beginner

I purchased a PCI-E WIFI card that uses the Intel AX200 chipset.

I want to use this card as a WIFI hotspot.

In the advanced settings, under 5GHz channel width, there is Auto and 20MHz

Auto results in 20MHz, and 20MHz .. the same.

Is this a driver problem that will be fixed in the near future, or is this a Windows 10 problem?

From Googling around, I see MANY people with this issue, but no answer to my question.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello EricB,   

Thank you very much for your feedback.  

I would like to let you know this feedback will be shared internally and the correct team will look into it. Additionally, we still recommend you to work with Microsoft* for further recommendations on this.  

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

Intel Customer Support Technician   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello EricB, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Are you using an Intel® wireless adapter or is it another third-party wireless card? Can you check if by any chance is the Intel Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit? This is the one that comes in a box labeled with the Intel logo. Please refer to the following link as a reference and let us know if this the one that you have: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-6-gig-desktop-kit-brochure.html 

2. If that is not the adapter that you are using, please include the full brand and model number, if possible, provide a link for reference.  

3. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

4. Provide the steps you take to enable hotspot, this is so we can try to replicate the behavior on our end.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
EricB
Beginner

Its third party, with the little intel module inserted into it.

This is the exact model here https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B083R43TZQ/

Enabling hotspot: PC settings, Network and Internet, Mobile hotspot, Share my internet connection with other devices turned on.

Fiddled with the device settings via device manager.

0 Kudos
EricB
Beginner

BTW, this should not be difficult to reproduce. There is a large community of people trying this setup to use with the Oculus Quest 2, for wireless PC connectivity. And none of them have been able to achieve anything other than 20 MHz width.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello EricB,  

Thank you for your response. 

Please let me review this information internally, once we have an update we will post it on this thread. 

Please kindly wait for a response.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello EricB,   

Thank you for patiently waiting. 

After checking internally, I would like to confirm that indeed the channel width is a feature that cannot be changed at Operating System (OS) level, and this is by OS design. The problem is not related to the Intel® wireless card or driver. 

Based on the above, I will highly recommend you double-checking with Microsoft* for extra recommendations on this. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
EricB
Beginner

Thanks for letting me know it is an OS issue, but what is my word and wishes to Microsoft? Shouldn't YOU GUYS, intel, be talking to them and asking why they are limiting the features of your products, pissing off your customers who don't know who is to blame for this?

You should be escalating this, not checking it off as my question being answered.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello EricB,   

Thank you very much for your feedback.  

I would like to let you know this feedback will be shared internally and the correct team will look into it. Additionally, we still recommend you to work with Microsoft* for further recommendations on this.  

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos