Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

[AX200/Win10/22.0.0] is this HotSpot IP address Behavior is Intended?

hong620
New Contributor I

I'm just a Typical Private User using AX200 as Desktop HotSpot for Home Mobile/Tablet Devices.

(Windows 10 1909 18363.1198 / Samsung SM-T575N Android 10)

after many Driver Progression and Windows updates during this year, AX200 seems many progression on many stability and bug fixes.

(Intel Wifi/wireless BT driver 22.0.0)

but i'm slight curious about current 22.0.0 's default driver behavior on Mobile HotSpot function from Windows 10.

1. when turn on the AX200's Wifi HotSpot function from windows, Child Android devices that connect to AX200 is success, but showing 'no internet connections'
  2. possible to access PlayStore and Webpages normally but Pictures and Video like Contents doesn't show as normal.
  3. i try check 'Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adaptor's Property, IPv4/IPv6 for proper mapping of IP address in adaptot.
  4. IPv6 is all setted in Auto but somehow IPv4 is following 'Manual Value but Empty' state.
  5. i check it as 'Receive IP adress Automatly' as usual, then issue looks fixed.
  6. but acctually this thing resetted everytime after windows 10 restart (and unfortunatly it's not a laptop so turn it on 24/7 workaround is impossible)
  7. i dunno this behavior cause by Microsoft's Windows 10 side, or Intel's Driver Default value side causes. (or could be my HyperV Virtual Ethernet Adaptor Switch that doesn't using it cause another variables?)

i'm searching some articles that peoples got simmilar issues on previous driver versions but not about recent 22.0.0 versions, so not sure about this report would helped..

I'm not much pro at Networking, but if there's no issue with Microsoft's Adaptor for Wifi HotSpot or AX200's Driver itself, i think those IP addressing on Hotspot adaptor setting would be go on to 'Auto'

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello hong620,

I completely understand and I really hope that this behavior can be addressed from Microsoft* side as well.

All of this was documented internally and hopefully other peers experiencing a similar behavior will find this thread useful to answer their concern.

That being said, we will proceed with the closure of this inquiry.

If you need further assistance please post a new question and we will be more than glad to assist you.

Note: Please consider that this thread is no longer being monitored.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

View solution in original post

9 Replies
hong620
New Contributor I

I'll correct it cause there's no edit function in this forum.

6. this thing resseted every time that turn off and on(that Unload and Load Microsoft's Virtual Adaptor that handling Hotspot function) HotSpot function on Windows 10. not even reset the windows10.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello hong620,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

This is an interest situation and I'll be more than glad to further investigate this for you.

First, I need to inform you that as our support is provided in English only I was not able to translate the pictures attached to the case. Please provide more information about the settings selected in those pictures.

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• Was the device working as expected before?
  • Were any changes made prior to this behavior?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?
  • What steps do you take to reproduce your issue?
  • How many devices are usually affected by this behavior?

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
hong620
New Contributor I

sorry for non-english screenshot but not avaible to change entire windows 10 locale for just screenshot, language would be diffirent but position is still same so, guess not much obstacle to understand that issue describe i guess.

i'm not sure about this translation but those screenshots are from Network Adaptor List in ControlPannel-> 'Local Space? Connection* Number' Virtual Wifi Direct Adaptor device that windows 10 Spawn when turn Hotspot 'On' -> right click property -> TCP/IPv4Property Screen.

(I Guess) IP address should be Auto but setted in 'Manual but empty value state'

DNS value not affect this issue i guess, and IPv6 one is setted on Auto so seems fine.

1. was using this AX200 quite a longtime but not many chance to use cause previous drivers are quite buggy at HotSpot Connect with Device itself in 2.4Ghz/5Ghz selection issues, fail to connect device kind lot of issues. but at least in my memory, previous 21.x.x, 20.x.x like version are doesn't had that 'HotSpot IP Addressing' issue.

(at least when connection success in previous drivers, doesn't had a 'no internet connection shown' issue)

so that's why i'm little suspicious on Microsoft's Windows 10 side behavior or flaw.

2. not sure but at least nothing changes behavior in hw and sw enviroment, only update both Intel BT/Wifi driver to 22.0.0 from previous versions.

other variable i've guessing is only windows 10 update side.

something 'not usual' thing in my system would be a 'Virtual Switch that require internet access from inside Hyper-V guest OS' but many enterprise and pro users in this pool so if mightbe this interfirrience windows's behavior, guess already had a issue on forum so it won't be a cause issue i think.

one another thing is using AdGuard Filter Driver to filter the tMalware and advertise trough traffics but it doesn't related or interffirience with Windows's network device or IP setting things.

(Filtering Traffic is doing on totally diffirent layer in OS)

i've checked they're issue tracker for sure but nothing seems affect on it. so also i don't think this one trigger issue either.

3. it's not the intergrated Intel Wireless in MotherBoard kind one.

i'm connect AX200 trough card type PCI-Ex Convertor like usual, not from the M.2 Key cause it's AMD system and this mobo won't support it trough M.2 Slots.

(and of cource connect AX200 intergrated USB Bluetooth device to USB 2.0 Pin in mobo and this one never had a issue)

4. Turn On 'Wifi HotSpot' trough Windows ControlPannel or Notification Bar in right bottom side. ->

Windows will Load 'Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adaptor' on network device list ->

there's no specific setting on hotspot device side, all default values. ->

Connect this Hotspot from Android device ->

Connect Success in 802.11AX with WPA2-PSK ->

android(or samsung stock) shown 'this wifi connection doesn't had Internet Connection' ->

Access Wikipedia trough Webbrowser or go PlayStore like internet connect trough AX200 Desktop is work but somehow work partitially cause there's no Proper IP Address get from AX200 ->

go Device list on Network ControlPannel in windows to 'Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adaptor' ->

check TCP IPv4 Protocol setting ->

should set as IP address 'Auto' but it's 'Manual with Empty Values' ->

click to set as 'Auto' -> click okay and check from Android device again ->

now everything as Hotspot work fine ->

Turn Off 'Wifi HotSpot' trough Windows ControlPannel or Notification Bar in right bottom side makes that Virtual device gone from network device list in windows ->

turn on it again load virtual adaptor in device list and show Hotspot but those IP setting value is turn back to 'Manual with Empty Values' again ->

issue happen again

5. i've tested in only two devices i've got, Old Nexus 5X with Android 8.1 and Recent Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 with Android 10 / Samsung OneUI 2.5

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello hong620,

I really appreciate your response and all the details provided.

However, there is something that I would like to confirm and it’s related on the integration of the wireless adapter to the motherboard.

I understand that the device is connected via PCIe? Is that correct?

As you know, we manufacturer this device with an M.2 interface and the product that we support is the Desktop kit. Can you please confirm that this is the device that you have? Please check the following link.

If so, can you please provide more information about this conversion to PCIe?

If this is not the case, I would appreciate if you could provide a link to confirm device that you have.

Also, I would like to thank you for all the replication steps and report provided.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technicia

0 Kudos
hong620
New Contributor I

Not the Intergration kit from Mobo manufactor or Intel Official kit that latly released.

Typical chinese one, fenvi FV-AX3000, connected trough PCIe 1x slot.

https://www.amazon.com/AX200NGW-802-11ac-3000Mbps-Ultra-Fast-Affordable/dp/B081N58RMV/

just a simple convertor so there's nothing this thing can involved this issue, we can still guessing this but as i'd said in previous AX200 drivers are got diffirent issues that much worst things, but there's no this kind of issue happen as i've remember so.. i'm still guessing windows 10 side behavior.

0 Kudos
hong620
New Contributor I

I've tried Test Recent 22.10.0 Driver with Windows 10 20H2 19042.662

but it's either IP Adressing as 'Auto' or not, sometimes work and sometimes not work kind state..

god.. even Hotspot can't host WPA3 Personal Key with Child android devices that support both WPA3 Personal and Enterprise.

guess WPA2/WPA3 compatibility kind things trigger Samsung's Wifi manager considering Wifi Host as WPA2 mode but not sure.

i've asking Samsung support for it, then they said try manually add AX200's Hotspot SSID name and manually appoint WPA3 mode. but this method seems not work either..

I hope they testing on AX200/210 for it.

anyway WPA mode and Key considering from windows side is sounds right.

but still they're setting menu looks not enough even in recent 20H2 setting menu.

feels like really confusing how to make Microsoft Devs Deal with this issues, Feedback program in my region pool is almost dead and only spam and trolls remained.

honestly they doesn't really care, consume time over 2 Years for fixing reported issues or ignored and skipped without answers. but even in issue fixed, soon broken again right after next build is how modern windows 10 works in my experience honestly..

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello hong620,

Thank you so much for your response.

After reviewing the information that you provided we can see that you are using a third party wireless adapter. Even if the device is using Intel technology any performance concern, compatibility or support should be addressed by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM).

The fact that you implemented this adapter into your motherboard makes this an integration.

When talking about this topic there are a lot of factors that we need to take into consideration that may affect the performance or stability of certain features.

Performing a wireless integrations is subject to country-specific legal regulations. Before installing or changing the Intel® Wireless Adapter, Intel recommends that you contact the system manufacturer to obtain approval, step-by-step instructions, or support.

It is worth mentioning that the integration may or may not work due to the following reasons: 

1. Hardware/software compatibility issues or dependencies. 

2. Manufacturer limitations. 

3. Driver limitations. 

In case you are interested please check the Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade for more information.

It is important to mention that when working with third-party products the Original Equipment Manufacturer may customize the software in order to ensure compatibility and stability when implementing the device.

The manufacturer has access to all Intel drivers and if necessary they are able to customize the software to ensure that it will meet their requirements.

As you can see here , the wireless adapter that is supported (which is Intel design) uses an M.2 form factor. Therefore, your motherboard would need an m.2 port and several modifications were made to it.

The wireless adapter that you have uses PCIe port, so a whole conversion was made by the manufacturer.

That being said, due to the fact that this is an integration and that the OEM may have limited some features during the manufacturing process we strongly recommend to report this behavior to the manufacturer or in this situation, as you say maybe contacting Microsoft* to report this behavior and get further recommendations.

I hope this helps.

Esteban D.

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied

hong620
New Contributor I

Yeah, guess sadly even those cards are just a simple tool that recorgnize intel wireless device to PCI-Ex formfactor(cause most of Desktop mobo especially AMD ones can't recorgnize Intel Wireless device trough M.2 port that designed for Support Stroage only even i got a quite expensive one unless they intergrate it in Own Price tag but just simmilar with my method) mostly those chinese manufactors they just dump Copy of Intel Driver in they're support page and nothing capability to tech support or deal with issues.

Mobo Vendor that handling firmware, legal office that regulate and certificate wireless device in each countries, chinese manufactor just simply make product to convertor intel chip as PCI Card.. elsewhere seems nothing much responsibility or duty to deal this issue i guess.

i'm really concern just Pay overlap expense for change fine mobo to Wireless chipset intergrated almost same way as my PCI Card connection that solve this issues or not.

guess same issue will apeared but only hope is Microsoft side..

anyway thx for wasting time for support on single end_user Esteban.

hope to Microsoft Considering Intel Wireless device on Desktop as seriously just same level as they concern New Bluetooth support in Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello hong620,

I completely understand and I really hope that this behavior can be addressed from Microsoft* side as well.

All of this was documented internally and hopefully other peers experiencing a similar behavior will find this thread useful to answer their concern.

That being said, we will proceed with the closure of this inquiry.

If you need further assistance please post a new question and we will be more than glad to assist you.

Note: Please consider that this thread is no longer being monitored.

Esteban D.