Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX200 at only 6MB/s while AX201 at 80MB/s via the same accesspoint (not simultaniously ofc)

madtulip
Beginner

Hey.

Ive got 2 Laptops one with a AX200 and one with an AX201. If i place both next to eachother and copy a single large file via WLAN from my NAS (which is connected via GB Lan to the Asus ZenWifi AX Mini (XD4) access points) i get 80MB/s via the AX201 and 6 MB/s via the AX200. Both laptops have similar specs. The AX200 Laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 15-IRH , windows 10 up to date, AX200 driver version 22.10.0.7, i7-9750H CPU HM370 chipset.

To my understanding the AX200 should be able to transmit more than 6MB/s. Its not a problem of the accesspoint or the source im getting the data from, as the AX201 does the same just fine.

So far i did.:

- noticed that in the "status" of my wifi connection displays 1.2Gbit and 5 green bars for connection strength

- update windows and the ax200 as well as all other drivers

- uninstall and reinstalled the ax200 drivers multiple times trying to be a torough as possible (uninstalling everything named intel from programms, deleting temp caches of everything using disk clean utility and booting multiple times)

- change powersaving options in windows for wireless device to "max performance"

- confirmed the settings of the driver in "devicemanager- *AX200* - properties - advanced" to be identical to the settings on the AX201 Laptop

- replaced the AX200 M.2 Module in the laptop with another AX200 Module from a different brand and checked that both internal antennas where plugged in correctly to the M.2 PCB with the old and new.

so far no success. can you help me?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
madtulip
Beginner

Here is the SSU result.

0 Kudos
madtulip
Beginner

Ive browsed through the SSU.txt file and noticed.:

Receive Rate:"6 Mbps"
Signal Strength:"88%"
Transmit Rate:"721 Mbps"

I guess that is a momentary measurement or are those 6Mbps a Setting i can change somewhere? Seems to describe the problem quite well.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello madtulip, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

So we can better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Is the Intel® AX200 the original adapter included in your computer? Or did you install it separately?  

2. Did this connection use to work before? If yes, do you recall making any changes before the issue started? 

3. What happens if you try doing a speed test instead of downloading a file from a NAS? 

4. You mentioned you replaced the Intel® AX200 adapter with another branded AX200 card, did you get any different outcome with that third party adapter? 

5. Can you provide the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) for the other system that has the AX201?  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

6. Have you tried installing the driver provided by the system manufacturer (OEM). You may want to try a clean installation:  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
madtulip
Beginner

1.: triied the original as well as a replacement - as already mentioned.

2.: no

3.: doing a speed test over my ISP which limits to 100 MBit shows similar results (somewhere between 500kbp/s and 6MB/s download. So thats limited by the wifi and not the ISP connection as exspected.

4.: due to the variable connection strength of wifi its hard tro tell exactly. its within the same margin of 500kbp/s to 6MB/s from the same position/distance of laptop/router antenna. i would say "no, its the same problem". On the other hand its the exact same IC on both PCBs, just soldered on the PCB by different manufactures. I just wanted to rule out that one of the ICs is somehow damaged - it doesnt seem like thats the case.

5.: will upload after this post from the other system.

6.: yes, thats what i had installed initially - same result.

0 Kudos
madtulip
Beginner

Heres the SSU_AX201.txt.

Receive Rate:"1021 Mbps"

Signal Strength:"80%"

Transmit Rate:"865 Mbps"

0 Kudos
madtulip
Beginner
0 Kudos
madtulip
Beginner

6.: installed the proposed lenovo driver again just to be sure. same result of 6 MB/s download

0 Kudos
madtulip
Beginner

i connected the 2 antennas A and B to connectors A and B as well as B and A on the PCB. No difference. I was unsure if one of them is the primary and the other auxilary in which case connection might improove if one of them is damaged or if both are used simultaniously in i.e. beamforming in which case it wouldnt matter which one is bad, the combined signal strength would be bad, or depending on the implementation if one antenna is bad the algorythm might also apply a weigth of near 0 to the bad one and near 1 to the good one in which case this weigth could be used to identify or and which one is bad. can we read those weigths from the antennas? can the driver debug output the "connection quality/snr" of both connected antennas so we can check if one of those is bad?

0 Kudos
madtulip
Beginner

another option to test the antennas would be to connect different antennas. would theese have the right specs for the ax200?: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/WayinTop-Antenna-Wireless-Network-Pigtail/dp/B07PG8RWDQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ax200+antenne&qid=1608801064&sr=8-3

in which case i would order those just to try if the laptop internal antennas are bad.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello madtulip,  

Thank you for your reply.   

Due to the fact that this happens with the computer out of the box, with different drivers, and even testing a different card; we strongly believe this can be a problem with your laptop. I highly recommend you to contact the OEM (Lenovo) for further help on this, chances are your system has a hardware problem or it can be that the antennas are not working properly as you mentioned. 

Also, keep in mind that the M.2 form factor Intel® Wireless Adapters use the standard 2x2 mm size RF micro coaxial receptacle (connector) with an outer diameter of 1.5 mm as defined in the PCI-E M.2 Specification. The wireless antennas are provided by each OEM, as they will need to fit each computer's and may subject to country-specific regulatory requirements. Replacing wireless antennas can be considered a wireless integration and Intel® does not support wireless integrations. I recommend you to check this with Lenovo also for support on wireless integrations and replacement parts to ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements of your country. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello madtulip,  

I hope our previous response was useful to you. As we advised, we believe you should report this to the OEM directly.

Based on that, we will proceed to close this inquiry. If you have any additional questions, please submit a new thread and we will gladly assist you.

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos