Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7353 Discussions

AX200 bluetooth crashing using wireless headset

caff
Beginner

Hi,

I have recently began experiecning the issues below when using an ax200 pcie wireless adapter.

I can replicate the issue following the steps below.

1. Connect bluetooth headphones

2. Switch to an application that uses the headphones bluetooth microphone

3. The audio on the headphones starts to hiss

4. The bluetooth drivers crash

5. Bluetooth adapter fails and will not recover without a reboot.

In the event viewer I can see the below happening each time

Error	08/02/2022 14:56:34	BTHUSB	17	None	The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.
Warning	08/02/2022 14:56:02	BTHUSB	3	None	A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond.
Warning	08/02/2022 14:55:52	BTHUSB	3	None	A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond.
Warning	08/02/2022 14:55:22	BTHUSB	3	None	A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond.
Warning	08/02/2022 14:54:52	BTHUSB	3	None	A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond.

I have updated to the latest intel drivers for both bluetoothe and wifi for the ax200.

I have also updated the motherboard chipset drivers and applied all recent windows updates but the issue persists.

SSU output attached

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Is this the original wireless adapter of the system?
  2. Was it working before? When did the issue start happening?
  3. Do you get any error codes on the device manager?
  4. Does it happen only with headphones? Or are any other Bluetooth devices affected?
  5. Do you have any issues with the Wi-Fi?
  6. Model of the headphones.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
caff
Beginner

Hi,

Its a system I built myself. the issue started happening in the last two weeks. The adapter was working well before. The error messages in device manager are the same as the ones I put in the first post from event viewer

Error	08/02/2022 14:56:34	BTHUSB	17	None	The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.

I also see this wifi error ittermitently

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz #3 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

It only happens with headphones. I repeated the error with both a set of philips bluetooth headphones shb8750nc and with aftershokz aeropex. The error only appears to occur when attempting to use the headset microphone - they worked fine up until two weeks ago.

I have tried the following

Updating the intel wifi and bluetooth drivers

Updating the AMD chipset drivers

Updating the motherboard bios

Upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11

The issue still persists, I originally thought it was related to USB ports but then narrowed it down the behaviour to those errors in event viewer and can recreate the error.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

Thank you for the information provided, please let me know if any changes were made to the system before the issue started happening. 

Regarding troubleshooting, we recommend performing a clean install of the latest wireless drivers. Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Wireless Driver:

1- Download the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver and save the installer on the computer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Wireless driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth® Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005756.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- Repeat steps 3 through 5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

7- Install the latest wireless driver.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
caff
Beginner

Hi Tried all the above.

I restorted to a clean install of windows last night but the issue remains the same. Once I try to use a microphone the bluetooth device goes into an error state

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

And I see the same sequence of errors in event manager as above in my first post.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

In this case, it is worth mentioning that when integration is made, it is important to check for compatibility with the motherboard manufacturer as there could be certain cards that will not work with the system or that will present issues when trying to use them, however, we will try our best to help you. 

We noticed there is a BETA version of the BIOS (version 2603), please try installing it and test if the issue persists. Please check with ASUS to see if this is a stable version that is safe to download and install. 

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios

Also, please try the following:

1. Disable fast startup.
  2. Check for Windows Bluetooth services (Open the console by pressing Windows key + R then type: services.msc) Check if they are set to Automatic and if the Service is started and running. If not click on the Start Service button to start the service.
  3. Disable and enable the Bluetooth from the BIOS (if the option is available)
  4. Connect your phone and check if the issue is present. 
  5. Reset the wireless card. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
caff
Beginner

Hi,

I tried the above instructions in relation to checking bluetooth services and fast strartup but the issue is still there.

I will wait until the bios update is out of beta and is a stable release before updating and trying it.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

Thank you for letting us know the results of the tests, we will continue investigating the issue and post back soon with more information.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

Please share with us the following information:

1. Have you installed any recent software/hardware?
  2. Have you tied forgetting and re-pairing the headphones?

We recommend a restore point if available or OS reinstall to check if the issue persists. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
caff
Beginner

Hi,

As I have said above in previous replies I have tried forgetting and re-paring and I have also completed a whole windows refresh.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

Thank you for the quick response. We will continue investigating and post back soon.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello caff,

In this case, our recommendation is to check with the OEM to get a physical inspection of the system, this can help check if there are any issues with installation or any hardware issue that could be causing the problems. 

Also, our recommendation is to check with the headphones OEM to check that everything is fine with it. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos