Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7580 Discussions

AX200 - bluetooth disconnection with multiple game controllers

claudspeed
New Contributor I

I have a Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H (from 2021), with Intel Wifi-6 AX200 160MHz card with integrated bluetooth, driver: 22.190.0.4 (from 23/11/2022), OS: Windows 11.

Using an external bluetooth dongle I can connect any number of bluetooth controllers (joypads) of different or same manufacturer.

If I use the intel bluetooth AX200 card integrated in the Legion 5 pro I'm only able to connect one controller. If I connect another the first one disconnects.

No problem on other laptops I've tried with the same controllers.

Other users have complained about this here, but you ignored them.

This IS clearly a driver bug. I am a software engineer, btw.

Can you escalate and try to have this fixed asap, please?

139 Replies
will6
New Contributor III

Seems to be some improvement. Not perfect but better.

Connected 2 dualsenses and 3 wiimotes. Have to follow specific order to connect them. Still didn't tried prolonged play.

But yes, now is somehow similar to a good BT dongle.

Except for the TR wiimotes which still doesn't have audio on dolphin.

0 Kudos
Tommysonic5
Novice

I wanted to share my experience with 23.30.0.3 which I tried over the last week with Dualsense and headphones on Bluetooth.

The connection does seem better overall, but not fixed for me when using 1 Dualsense and 1 headset. It tends to work perfectly for short periods, but after a little while I get those usual audio cutouts every 15 minutes or so.

Just rolled back to 21.0.0.4

0 Kudos
filament
Novice

The problem has been known for years... but apparently Intel doesn't care.

community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Can-Intel-AC-9260-Bluetooth-work-with-4-concurrent-PlayStation/m-p/1306591#M37212

will6
New Contributor III

The issue was somehow resolved or improved for AX cards since driver 23.30.0.0. Remember to check asus forum for newer drivers. They should update older cards too since this bug affects them all.

0 Kudos
AnniH
Novice

I would be interested to know if the problem also occurs with Intel's new WiFi 7 module BE200NGW and BE202NGW. Has anyone already had experience with it?

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

It's mostly a driver problem. Don't think it will work better on BE cards. The hardware has some limitations too, but probably it's the same hardware.

But issue was greatly improved since driver 23.30.0.0.

And yesterday was released 23.60.0.0 on Asus forums.

BTW we made it to the news

https://www.techradar.com/computing/windows/intel-upgrades-bluetooth-for-windows-11-and-its-great-news-for-people-with-the-ps5-dualsense-controller

Kudos to all the people that help here. Even the ones at Intel that didn't believe this problem exist.

claudspeed
New Contributor I

Wow! Amazing! So cool to be on the news! This makes sending logs for 6 months-ish almost worth it eheh

AnniH
Novice

Hehe, and if we're lucky, in 5 years we'll be able to connect a third game controller. That would almost be an entire PlayStation 5.

will6
New Contributor III

Lol. Dont be mean. They didnt have enough budget to buy 3 controllers.

BTW, I tried 3 wiimotes. And they have some troubles to stay connected, but it's usable (unusable with drivers prior to 23.30.0.0). The bad, they dont have speaker sound with intel bt and they refuse to fix it.

2 controllers of any kind seems to be fixed.

But well, intel bt is getting better. Maybe, someday of this century, or maybe the next one, it will be on par with 5 dollars bt dongles.

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Btw, I found this old petition: https://www.change.org/p/intel-get-intel-to-fix-the-driver-problem-with-various-wireless-bluetooth-chips

It probably won't change much, but I still signed It, since the fix is not perfect! Personally It seems to works fine for me, only weird thing I've seen recently is some controller reconnection notification in retroarch every 20ish minutes, but I'm not sure If It's a driver issue or there's something wrong with my Retroarch.

0 Kudos
AngryChair
Novice

Strange, I've been consistenly using 4 controllers: 1 dualsense and 3 dualshock4 for the past few months and never had a single disconnection or noticeable latency spike. Are you disabling the power saving option from device manager?

I wasn't able to borrow another dualsense to try with 2 of them and 2 ps4 one's but i'll report when i can. Still, i think 4 joysticks is pretty good for a BT that had problems with only 2.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Dualsense use a lot more BW than ds4.

But yes, its kind of usable.  Four ds4 are probably possible since 23.30.0.0. 

Four dualsense not so sure.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

I dont use more than one controller too often. But last time I played 2 player didnt have any disconnection. Only 2 dualsense. No other bt device connected.

Dont know if controller can lose connection without having to turn it on again. I used to get those retroarch messages with x series bt controller. Never understood completely why it happens.

I keep this bt mainly because their external antenna. Bt dongles tend to have a nano antenna and sometimes they need to be separated from pc case to have better signal. And having the bt dongle hanging from a usb port is not that great.

Maybe someday I should try another brand pcie wifi/bt card, but its a pain to replace it.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

BTW I dont why they release so many drivers updates for wifi / bt. Looks like they are working like mad, but barely fixes anything.

0 Kudos