Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX200 cant connect to ax network

zZKubiKZz
Beginner

I have intel ax200 card and asus ax88u router. 

If i use mixed n/ac/ax mode it working in ac , if i change to ax only mode in the router i cant connect to network anymore. I can still see it but it says "cant connect to this network". 

0 Kudos
30 Replies
zZKubiKZz
Beginner

Well... No technical conclusion. They said something like "we don't know why it is not working".

I got a replacement and 

zZKubiKZz_0-1595939579167.png

still the same problem.... Maybe SC was wrong about card and problem is in router(but they said that they couldn't detect the problem with router and they found something with card anyway) or i was unlucky to get 2nd card with defect, or something else. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello zZKubiKZz, Thank you very much for sharing those updates, we are sorry to hear the issue remains.

Just to let you know, it is very unlikely to get 2 defective Intel® Wireless cards in a row. 

At this point, since the ASUS Wireless kit was replaced, ASUS will need to confirm if that kit is fully compatible with their board and if necessary to replace the motherboard on your computer. Also, to look deeper into the Router settings and configuration to make sure it has the optimal settings to work with your platform.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
zZKubiKZz
Beginner

It finally works! Problem was in my old card probably.

I tried everything with router and card.  Last hope was clear windows installation.

I installed windows to my second ssd, but it didn't help, still only ac working.

Then i returned to my main windows and windows says that it detected wi-fi 6. Now its working fine. 

Reloading my pc earlier didn't help. I tried the same windows installation when tried to resolve this problem with old card.  I tried clear drivers installing.

Im a bit confused what magic is this. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

zZKubiKZz, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem with the Intel® Wireless connection got fixed and now it is working properly. As you mentioned, the problem seemed to be related to the old Wireless card but we are glad to know it is resolved now.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
zZKubiKZz
Beginner

Well. I dont know how it works, so i need your help to understand.

After another reconnect it went back to ac and can't connect to ax. I again tried few things like rebooting and reinstalling drivers. It didn't help.

Then i again installed 2nd windows and it works again when i returned to my main OS. 

After rebooting my pc it doesn't work again. 

Don't really want to install second windows every time to make it work. 

0 Kudos
zZKubiKZz
Beginner

Tried this card on another pc with another hardware. Same result. 

0 Kudos
zZKubiKZz
Beginner

Found another way to make it work. 

After using network reset function in win 10, ax200 card connecting by itself to network in ax mode. 

But it connects to "my_network_name 2". I can't see it until it connects by itself. In properties it shows SSID without "2". 

I don't need to enter password, unlike with SSID that i can see from the start. If i disconnect/connect to another SSID/reload pc it stops working in ax and i need to reset again. 

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

This sounds similar to something I experienced with a USB wireless AC adapter and a router that clearly did support wireless AC. The problem was with the control channel. The adapter could not connect to certain control channels. However, if I forced the control channel to one of the lower number control channels, it connected and worked properly. It may well be that you are having trouble with the device receiving the router's control channel and the router automatically chose something that is not easily available for your device. You can try scanning for other wireless routers that you might be receiving to determine what channels are available.

0 Kudos
walkingnerd
Beginner

Any updates to this ??? 

I got a relatively similar situation ... 

Alienware R3 17 ... JUST upgraded to an AX200 

Asus AX88U router ... 

The system only connects to the AC network. 

Is there a way to force the card to only connect to AX ?

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I have exactly that same router. I have two PCs with Wifi-6 support. One has the Asus PCI add-on card, and the other is an Asrock X570 Creator with the Wifi-6 on-board. I can offer some suggestions that seem to work well for me.

1. Let the router use the same SSID for both 2.4 Ghz and  5 Ghz bands. The clients seem to connect faster.

2. In the router, in the Wireless section, Professional tab, the setting for OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO really needs to stay DL only. I swear the authors of the firmware managed to AX mode to work using this option and all the other choices never got tweaked. If I try any other setting on this option, I get nothing but trouble and less throughput.

3. Forget about trying the ASUS Merlin firmware. The firmware from ASUS that is explicitly for this router is the one that performs best. The Merlin version omits features that the router supports.

4. In the section for 5 GHz channel bandwidth, make sure to set it to 20/40/80/160 and check the box for Enable 160 MHz.

Two other things that I found from personal experience. First, download the NetSpot utility to show what your wireless adapters are receiving. Hint: The one from the Store does not identify an AX signal as AX. I needed to download the installable app to be able to see that my router was actually capable of AX. Second, the importance of the control channel cannot be overstated. I have mine set to auto on both bands but you may need to lock your control channel to avoid a conflict with a nearby router (if you have neighbors).

Lastly, don't be afraid to let Windows reset your network stack. I had a tablet that would only negotiate a poorly signal strength. By using the NETSH tool in Windows I reset the IPv4 and wireless settings. Blam, the wireless on the tablet came to life and worked great. Just uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter driver is not enough to accomplish this. There is information on the web on how to use the NETSH tool.

0 Kudos