Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX200 died

Vegan
New Contributor I

I have a PCIe card with an AX200 on it, it seems that the chip has failed partially. The Bluetooth still works but the WiFi has crapped out.

So I ordered a new one which may surface some year. but it seems that WiFi cards die faster than any other component I have.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Vegan, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Thank you very much as well for your comments, we completely understand your concern on this matter and for that reason, we just wanted to gather a few more details about your platform:

Is this a new computer, for how long have you been using the Intel® Wireless card?

Is the Intel® Wireless card working with high workload?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

You mentioned the Bluetooth is working fine, are there any other symptoms that you detected, is the Intel® Wireless card showing in "Device Manager", is the card able to recognize the network?

Why did you order a new Wireless card instead of replacing it with the place of purchase?

What is the mode of the Router?

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

yes the wifi is pretty busy with game updates all the time but the machine has lots of thermal management with fans galore

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Vegan, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we need all the details that we requested previously. 

Now, if the reason why the Intel® Wireless card is getting defective is because "the machine has lots of thermal management with fans galore" then, in that case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer, since they are the ones that integrated all the parts in it including the fans so they will be the ones that will be able to provide further technical assistance on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

There is also a large passive heat sink attached to the AX200 to add more cooling to it, the cooler extends to the rear edge of the card which is as big as it can get

So if one of these was mounted on a motherboard as integrated WiFi the unit would be disadvantaged over my card with the large cooler

I see several recent motherboards with M.2 keyed for WiFi close to the rear of the machine

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Vegan, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to let you know, there are no reports from peers about the Intel® Wireless cards dying abruptly and prematurely on the laptop. 

Based on the details you gave us, in this case, the issue seems to be related to the design of the laptop done by the manufacturer of it, so the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with them and verify if the Intel® Wireless card and the antennas are fully compatible with their platform and also to check the thermal aspect of the computer.

Additionally, there might be hardware problems with the cooling system and with the fans as well, so to take the computer to them, either to the manufacturer of the system or the place of purchase directly for a physical inspection will be the best thing to do, since a replacement of some components might be needed and they will be able to provide the warranty options for this scenario.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

I even dig deeper into problems by looking at the UEFI BIOS etc

Being a developer I can see immediately when problems are spotted

I have seen a lot of BIOS defects

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Vegan, Thank you very much for your response.

Yes, all the information about BIOS, including the settings on it, enabling and disabling features and functions on it, possible problems, BIOS fixes and updates, everything about the BIOS is supported by the manufacturer of the computer, so the best thing to do about this topic as well, will be to get in contact directly with them so they can verify all the BIOS details on their computer.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos