Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AX200 disconnecting frequently from wifi

MGarr4
Beginner

Hi! I'm experiencing some network issues with my new Asus Zephyrus G14 GA401IV that comes with an Intel AX200 wifi card. Wifi connection drops multiple times a day, especially when gaming online.

So far I have tried:

• Setting the bandwidth for 2.4GHz and 5GHz to 20mHz --> more stable, but still disconnecting 3~4 times a day
  • Enforcing 802.11ac and n. More stable as well, but still some disconnections per day.
  • Rolling back to Asus' drivers for this card (21.60.0.5), not changing a thing

Many people with this card/laptop are encountering the same issue without finding any successful fix...

Here are some information about my system configuration:

• Are you having issues on both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth?

Only WiFi

• When did it start to happen?

As soon as I unboxed the laptop.

• Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or wireless driver update?

After unboxing and applying all updates available.

• Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

Original one.

Also, please find attached the SSU report.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MGarr4

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for all the details provided and the report.

We would like to gather additional details to check this further. could you please provide the following information?

1- Is your Router compatible with the AX WiFi Standard? If yes, besides trying enforcing 802.11ac and n, have you tried selecting 802.11ax under 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode in the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings?

2- Have you checked if this issue happens testing only the laptop and the router? (no other wireless devices connected to the wireless network during this test).

3- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Maybe one that is AX compatible? Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem? Please provide details.

4- Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

5- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

6- When the WiFi disconnects, does it reconnect automatically or not? How long does it take to reconnect?

7- Computer power source: plugged in or battery?

8- Wireless security method:

• Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES):
  • 802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP): 
  • Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST)

9- Network SSID stealth mode: hidden or broadcast?

10- When did you purchase the computer?

Also, we would like you to run a new Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report with full third-party information and logs. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.
  2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  3. Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. 
  5. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MGarr4
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

1- Is your Router compatible with the AX WiFi Standard? If yes, besides trying enforcing 802.11ac and n, have you tried selecting 802.11ax under 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode in the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings?

I'm using an 802.11ac wifi PLC plug. Changing the driver's settings to ax or ac doesn't change a thing.

I have also tried directly connected to the router which is 802.11a/n. Same problem

2- Have you checked if this issue happens testing only the laptop and the router? (no other wireless devices connected to the wireless network during this test).

Yes, this happens with only this device connected.

3- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Maybe one that is AX compatible? Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem? Please provide details.

See 1. Tried rebooting, no difference. I don't have any AX compatible equipment and don't plan to upgrade soon.

4- Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

Router:

• Sagemcom Livebox Play (or Livebox 3) (optical fiber), rented from Orange (France).
  • Firmware: SG30_sip-fr-6.62.12.1

PLC plug:

• devolo dLAN®1200+ WiFi ac
  • Firmware: 5.2.1

5- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

I have also tried at a friend's house, experiencing the same issues (though less frequently). He has the same router, can't say for the firmware version.

6- When the WiFi disconnects, does it reconnect automatically or not? How long does it take to reconnect?

It never reconnects, I have to disable and reenable the laptop's wifi to reconnect automatically.

7- Computer power source: plugged in or battery?

So far I'd say only plugged in, as this happens mainly while playing online games. Haven't tried on battery.

8- Wireless security method:

• Encryption Type: TKIP+AES
  • 802.1X authentication type: WPA/WPA2 mixed
  • Key Management Type: could not find

9- Network SSID stealth mode: hidden or broadcast?

Broadcast

10- When did you purchase the computer?

April 29th

Also please find attached the new SSU

0 Kudos
MGarr4
Beginner

I have tried setting the 5ghz channel to 44 (was on 112) on my PLC wifi plug, and resetting the AX200 drivers parameters to factory (auto bandwidth, 802.11ax). It seems to have fixed the issue for now, I will post again if I still get the disconnections.

Although this might be a temp fix, this issue I described is not resolved. I'm not going to ask every places I go to to change their 5ghz channel.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MGarr4

Thank you for your response and all the details provided.

We are glad to know you found this temporary fix. We are checking this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as possible.

Feel free to provide details at any time regarding the behavior with these latest settings you changed to see if it works fine.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MGarr4

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we noticed that the router specifications indicate: Normes WiFi - IEEE 802.11 b/g/n et IEEE 802.11 a/n

This seems to be something related to country Wireless regulatory - France*

https://assistance.orange.fr/equipement/livebox-et-modems/livebox-play-sagemcom

If the router specifications are correct then there is no way for the wireless card to work in ac/ax mode, only possible modes will be a/n.

Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MGarr4

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to check our previous post. If you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MGarr4
Beginner

Hello AndrewG,

Thanks for your replies, here is an update about the issue.

About the router being only IEEE 802.11 b/g/n et IEEE 802.11 a/n, well even forcing a/n in the driver's advanced parameters didn't change a thing.

I had to factory reset my laptop due to other issues, and the issue occured way more frequently since. Changing the 5ghz channel to 44 on the PLC wifi plug does not ensure stability anymore. However it seems that the situation improves with time, I'm getting dcs less and less frequently, without changing a thing on my side...

Not sure how I can help you with more info here!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MGarr4

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

We understand that after doing a factory reset the issue persisted, but then it seems that functionality improves with time.

We would like to know if the stability of the connectivity is still improving? Please kindly monitor the behavior and if you have additional inquiries please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MGarr4

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MGarr4

We have not heard back from you so we will be proceeding to close this thread soon. If the issue persists, we recommend checking with the router manufacturer regarding further details about country Wireless regulatory - France just in case to discard issues or limitations related to this. Finally, since you mentioned this is a new laptop, you may check further with their support team for additional debugging and to discard hardware issues.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos