Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX200 does not connect to WIFI 5

a3Dman
Novice

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte Vision D B550 motherboard that includes an AX200 card. By default the card does not use Wi-Fi ac when connecting to my router which supports it automatically. I have to go to advanced driver settings, set 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode to 802.11ac, then it connects successfully to my router using Wi-Fi ac. 

The problem is after restart it goes back to Wi-Fi n and I have to set 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode to 802.11ax and then to 802.11ac for it to connect using Wi-Fi ac.

Is there any permanent fix for this issue so that it always uses Wi-Fi ac on startup?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

a3Dman, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this topic, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before or you always needed to "set 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode to 802.11ax and then to 802.11ac"?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Just to confirm, the wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
a3Dman
Novice

Hi Alberto, Thanks for your reply.

This is a new computer, and this issue is happening since day one. The same behavior when using the default drivers that Windows 10 install, the drivers from Gigabyte website, and the latest Intel drivers which I'm using at the moment.

The card came installed with the motherboard.

I'm using Windows 10 20H2 19042.685, and SSU report is attached.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi a3Dman, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing the SSU report.

Just to let you know, we recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. You mentioned that you already installed them and the problem remains, just to confirm, the version of the Intel® Wireless driver provided by Gigabyte is 2‎1.80.0.4, was that the driver version you previously tested?:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-wlanbt

Additionally, could you please provide a picture of the Intel® Wireless card while is connected to the board? we just wanted to confirm if it is properly attached to it.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
a3Dman
Novice

I always use the drivers from the motherboard support page, but I only went after the updated driver when I found that it only connects to 802.11n by default. I would like to confirm that this was the version I first used and I had the same issue as with the latest driver from Intel as well.

The card can connect properly to 802.11ac after changing advanced wireless settings from ac to n multiple times, once it connects to my router using 802.11ac it stays like that for the nearest driver reset after reboot or wake from sleep, and I have to do that again. I think this is a driver issue because the hardware is very stable on both 802.11n and 802.11ac and I get very decent speeds, 300/300 on n and 800/800 on ac. I also tried on two different routers and the behavior is the same.

I would be more than happy to assist further and provide any required logs to get this fixed.

I have attached pictures for the wireless card.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

a3Dman, Thank you very much for sharing those details..

Just to confirm, for testing purposes, do you have the option to test an AX Router?

What are the models of those 2 other Routers that you tested?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
a3Dman
Novice

Hi Albert,

Unfortunately, I don't have any AX routers.

The current routers I have tested are TP-LINK Archer D7 AC1750 and Archer VR600 AC1600.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi a3Dman, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

No problem at all, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Dev-Rnd
Novice

I am having the same problem. My AX200 connects fine to my Router MI AC2350, but frequently uses Wifi 4 instead of 5. Both type connections work well and at their respective full speed once established. I wish there was a way to force AC connection only.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi a3Dman, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we determined that the problem could be related to compatibility due to the Router not supporting the AX protocol. So in this case, what we recommend to do next will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the Router for them to provide the optimal settings configuration for the Router and also to verify if there is a firmware update available for it for you to install it:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/

Dev-Rnd, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos