Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7440 Discussions

AX200 keeps dropping from 802.11ac (5Ghz) to 801.11n (2.4Ghz)

CMill44
Beginner

Hi,

Purchased a new Lenovo laptop with Intel AX200 networking card. Currently, I do not have wi-fi 6, but was looking to futureproof as card is backward compatible.

When I initially log on, I get 802.11ac resulting in very fast wifi speeds. Note, I have 1gb fibre, so expectation is met. Unfortunately after a few minutes, the card reverts to 802.11n with the associated slower speeds.

I have followed the troubleshooting steps from Intel and changed properties in the device manager (advanced) to "3. 802.11ac". This has had no impact.

All suggestions have the same result. Initially 5Ghz and then falling to 2.4Ghz.

Change settings - the above

Reset computer - the above

Reset router - the above

I have several other devices attached to the router, all with no issues. The only issue appears to be with the new machine and the AX200 card.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello CMill44, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  
  • Use the paperclip icon to attach the report to the thread. Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. What is your router/AP model number?  

3. Just to confirm, is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? 

4. Are you having issues with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or both? 

5. Is this happening at home, office environment, or both? Have you checked if this behavior happens on different networks? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
CMill44
Beginner

Thank you for the quick reply.

1. Attached
  2. Sagemcon, livebox fibre (note wifi 5 fiber box from Orange telecom)
  3. Yes, original, I have had the machine for a few days only
  4. Wifi
  5. I only have the one network at home. No others tried. Network works fine with multiple other devices.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello CMill44, 

Thank your reply, please check the information below: 

1. Have you tried setting your Wireless properties from the Device Manager to 802.11ax? 
  2. The only information that I could find regarding your AP model is the following: https://assistance.orange.fr/equipement/livebox-et-modems/livebox-play-sagemcom 
  3. Can you confirm if that is your router/AP model? If not, can you provide a full model number or link? 
  4. Based on the previous model, it looks that your router/AP does not support the ax mode, have you checked with the router/AP manufacturer to see if this mode is supported? Or if there is a different setting you should check? 
  5. Also, can you confirm if the other systems that you have that work fine with your network, do they work with ax mode? If not, which mode do they use? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
CMill44
Beginner

Hi,

1. Yes, I have tried this. All other items work as expected except the new laptop
  2. Information in the link below. This is the latest from Orange for fiber. Again, no issues except for the AX200
  3. See below
  4. Agreed. The router does not support .ax In theory it just reverts back to wifi 5. It does this for all other devices. I have tried setting the AX200 to .ac. This works for all devices except the new laptop which reverts back to .n. Note. There is no difference in how the card is set up, either .ax or .ac. All devices react the same way. I was trying to future proof (a little) by getting a wifi 6 card. Regretting that decision :)
  5. See 4, all devices work with either setting as expected.

Thanks again for your help.

Note, I have talked to lenovo support who did a fill reset of the machine including reinstalling windows. This had no impact on this issue.

https://boutique.orange.fr/informations/livebox-5/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh4LQtcr66QIVVIfVCh1U_A15EAAYASAAEgLGOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello CMill44, 

Thank you for your update. 

Please allow us to check this behavior internally, I will post in the thread once we have an update. Please kindly wait for our response.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello CMill44, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. 

After checking this case internally, we noticed that this problem is not related to the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card, but compatibility with the router/AP, if you want better speeds you might need to change the router, or go back to the laptop's Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and request a 9000 series Wireless adapter. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
CMill44
Beginner

Sebastian,

Thank you for the follow up and advice. It is appreciated.

0 Kudos