Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

AX200 throttles internet download speeds

WER
Beginner

My Dell 7320 laptop with an Intel AX200 has much slower download speeds than are available on two different Samsung Galaxy S10e cellphones. All devices are connected via Wi-Fi to a TP-Link AX6000 router. The router's connection to the ISP tests out at a 501 Mbps download speed and a 500 Mbps upload speed. The S10e cell phones test out at a download speed of 472.8 Mbps and 482.8 Mbps, and upload speeds of 147.3 Mbps and 168.8 Mbps. The laptop tests out at a download speed of 113.3 Mbps and an upload speed of 296.5 Mbps. They are all connected to the router on the 5 GHz radio using the AX protocol. All devices are in the same room, with the laptop being a couple of feet closer to the router than the cell phones. Shifting positions of the devices in the room have no impact on the speed tests. The AX200 has driver version 21.90.3.2. Given these parameters, it would seem the issue is with the AX200. Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
WER
Beginner

Not sure which update worked, but I did an Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver update and a Dell Inspiron 7386 System BIOS - 1.10.0 update, and my download speed is now 508.3 Mbps and my upload speed is now 310.9 Mbps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Wer,

Although the driver for Dell laptop is not likely to provide a massive improvement, it appears Dell does have a newer driver available. Using the Dell website for updates related to your model, I see a network update that should take the wireless to 20.40.0.7. Additionally, that update is marked urgent.

Aside from the driver, have you tested the AX200 wireless in AC versus AX mode? You should be able to approach full speed in AC. You need to adjust the Advanced, 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode, and set it to 3, 802.11ac.

Also, are you able to connect to the TP-Link router and look at the status of wireless connections? If so, you would want to look at signal strength and connection type. And while looking at the router, you should see if there is an update for it. There could be something that TP-Link updated to resolve problems with AX200 adapters.

0 Kudos
WER
Beginner

Not sure which update worked, but I did an Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver update and a Dell Inspiron 7386 System BIOS - 1.10.0 update, and my download speed is now 508.3 Mbps and my upload speed is now 310.9 Mbps.

0 Kudos