Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX200 wifi card unable to connect to 2.4ghz wifi

AndAlva
Beginner

The wifi card is not able to connect the the 2.4ghz wifi. It is able to connect to the 5ghz wifi though. I tried reinstalling the driver but it still won't work. The AX200 shows the 2.4ghz SSID that my router is giving off but when I try connecting to it, it says "Cant connect to this network" but it will allow me to the 5ghz SSID

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndAlva
Beginner

I tried connecting to my phones hotspot, which is 2.4ghz, and it works fine. Could it be a problem with the router/modem?

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello AndAlva,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

Yes, it is possible, maybe the configuration you are using on the router/modem is not proper for the AX card, and the SSID does not allow the card to connect to it. In this case, the best would be to contact the router/modem manufacturer and verify with them about this.

You can let us know the outcome, and in case you need further help, provide us the below information:

• Is the wireless card an integration you made to your system?
  • Was the 2.4GHz band working fine before?
  • Router/modem model.

Provide us with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndAlva
Beginner

1) Yes the wifi card was something I had to buy separately and add it to the build 

2) The PC is fairly new, about 2 weeks old, and I have been using 5ghz only. This is the first time trying to use 2.4ghz on this PC. 

3) The router/modem is Arris Model # TG1682G

Here is the Intel SSU

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

You don't mention if you are using WEP, WPA or WPA2 for the 2.4 GHz band on the Arris modem/router. It could also be the control channel on the Arris as well.

Just as an aside: I had one of the smart thermostats that connects to 2.4 GHz wireless and then allows control from an app and a web page. The thermostat would not connect to my Linksys router that was configured for WPA2. I never found a solution to get the thermostat to connect, and I would not even bother with WEP as it is so unsecure. The fix was to use a different brand wireless router with WPA2 and then the thermostat easily connected. I've heard this same story from a coworker whom's wife had a MacBook, and it would not connect to the wireless router. In that situation he also just added a different wireless router to support just the MacBook.

While I am not trying to help you spend cash, you may want to consider a wireless router, and let that router handle the wired and wireless. I suggest this as most routers support a wide range of features not found on cable modems. For instance, you may need port forwarding, or wireless features not found in the cable modem, and wireless support for 802.11ax.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello AndAlva,

Thank you for the information.

I was checking the Router user guide and I was unable to find specific instructions for the bands' settings. https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000TnNmSAAV&c=Touchstone#panel3

You can check here and try our Recommended Settings for 802.11ax Connectivity https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057574/network-and-io.html

Since the PC works fine with a different access point we can confirm that the card is working properly. Also, keep in mind that you made an integration, and there is the chance that the wireless card is not properly installed, or also, compatibility issues. To confirm this, the best is to contact the motherboard/system manufacturer. They may also provide customized drivers that will work with your system.

However, our principal recommendation is to check with the Router/System manufacturer about the SSID configuration, and the settings you should use to be able to connect this PC.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello AndAlva,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos