Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

AX201: AX201.NGWG vs AX201.NGWG.W

Dj831
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I'm about to purchase an AX201 wireless card (from Mouser) for my computer, a Dell 7080 SFF.

There are plenty of references, but since I'd like to use M2.2230 format and vPro, I need an AX201.NGWG.

There are two available references, though for an AX201: AX201.NGWG and AX201.NGWG.W. Can someone please tell me what 'W' stands for? I think it add 'WEP' support, but I'm really unsure.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What slot are you intending to plug this card into? The AX201 is for systems that have an M.2 Type E connector with CNVio/CNVio2 support built into the motherboard. I am not sure that you system has this. In fact, you may not even have a M.2 Type E connector at all! (difficult to tell with Dell's horrid documentation).

You may require a PCIe daughter card to support wireless - which means the AX200 or AX210 are the cards you want to be looking at. Here is an integrated AX210 wireless kit that has everything you need: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NVR8M8X.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

In the Ordering and spec information  I don't find any differences between AX201.NGWG and AX201.NGWG.W adapters.

Leon

0 Kudos
Dj831
Beginner

Hi, many thanks to both of you for your answers! 

• N_scott_pearson: yes, mobo is fully compatible, since it has a slot for that very purpose. Processor is an i7-10700, and should work. I've tested with an AX211, but it is not compatible at all (device seen by peripheral manager, but driver issue). About Dell's documentation, you are perfectly right. Totally useless. And so does is Dell' support. Next computer will be an HP
  • LeonWaksman: that's my very issue. I found nothing relevant on the web, sadly. 

I will order that wireless card at Mouser, since parts ordered are what you get, with no surprise (like Radiospares, Farnell, Digi-key). This is not the case with Amazon and eBay (to name few).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I hate to burst your bubble, but HP's support is just as bad. Sadly, all of the OEMs have discovered that they can gut their support groups and just say it's Intel's fault and send them here. Don't get me started on warranties. Warranties are not worth the paper they are written on these days. AFAIAC, any warranty that doesn't include full coverage (by competent people) for a minimum of 3 years and a guarantee of driver and BIOS updates for a minimum of 6 years is garbage.

Ok, when you say compatible, compatible with what?

• Is it a M.2 Type E slot with CNVio (or better CNVio2) support? If so, then perhaps the AX201, AX211 or AX411 will work (I say 'perhaps' because these modules are CNVio2 and I have seen a number of boards that *only* support the older CNVio).
  • Is it a M.2 Type E slot without CNVio or CNVio2 support? In this case, then you want a AX200 or AX210.

...S

0 Kudos
Dj831
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your input. You may be right with HP, but for me, as a company, no worries at all. Their contractors, though, may be an issue.

When I want to upgrade a laptop, for example, I read their service & maintenance guide to find the part I need, I order on their parts' website, and voila, done. I did it for a fingerprint reader on a 830 G3, and more recently, to replace keyboard for a 830 x360 purchased in a foreign language. It's simple as ABC.

So, to get back to the wireless card, yes, this is a AX201. Connector is CNVio compatible (it should be compatible w/ v2, since processor is a Gen10 processor). The AX211 (CNVio2) I have is not compatible, however.

Does anyone know the difference between W and non-W version?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Dj831,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are going to research your concern. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Dj831,

Please take a look at the following information:

• The AX201NGW has an M.2 2230 interface
  • The AX201D2W and the AX201D2WL have an M.2 1216 interface

When it comes to ordering codes, both codes are associated with the same product, an Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201. Authorized distributors may handle both codes, but the product is the same.

I highly suggest you to check with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for integration compatibility. Please feel free to take a look at the following article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/wireless.html

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Dj831
Beginner

Hi, thanks Steven for your answer. I've asked Mouser to know why there are two different references for that card (one 'W' and one 'non-W'). A distributor has little to no interest to have two references for identicals products - for them, the less references, the best. Furthermore, number of parts stored is not the same for both references.

I keep you posted when I have an answer.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Please let us know once you have a reply from Mouser. As well, please remember that even though they handle both codes, the product is the same.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Just to remind you this thread is still open and we would like to know once you have an update.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos