cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackyjoy123
Beginner

AX201 Issues on the HP Spectre x360 ?.

Hello,

Picked up an HP Spectre x360 15 about a month ago - have been having some issues with the wireless adapter (Intel AX201) lately that are pretty annoying. There are three main issues:

1. When the PC wakes from sleep, it often takes about a minute for the PC to reconnect to the wireless network, seems like a power-saving issue but I have been unable to find any meaningful power-saving settings to toggle to fix this.

2. Even when the PC manages to wake up and reconnect to the wireless network, sometimes it is ONLY able to reconnect to the 2.4 GHz band and not the 5 GHz band, no matter how many times I try to switch back and forth. Issue resolves itself if I restart the PC, or sometimes if I just ignore it and let it go back to sleep and it might connect to the 5 GHz band. I have found that if I go into Device Manager and disable and then re-enable the wireless adapter, it will allow me to reconnect to the 5GHz band...

3. Lastly, the wireless speeds (when the PC is connected to either 2.4/5) are not as good as they could be, not even close. On my desktop (hard-wired Ethernet), I can get ~240 Mbps down, my phone (wifi - 5GHz) ~110 Mbps down, and then when I try the Spectre (wifi - 5GHz) I might get ~50 Mbps down if I'm lucky. This is really unacceptable for a new Wifi 6 device....

So far, I have tried: updating to the latest Intel drivers (22.40.0.7), made sure my router settings were on WPA2, have looked in device manager for any power settings, looked into HP Command Center network booster, and maybe a few other things --- to no avail....

Could really use some assistance here, I REALLY like this laptop, but these issues are really making it troublesome.

thanks

jackyjoy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello jackyjoy123,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

We have moved your post to the Wireless Community. Intel Customer support will assist you soon.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @jackyjoy123

In order to check this behavior further, could you please provide the following information?

1- We understand that this is a new laptop. Did the wireless connection work fine before at any time? Or is the issue happening since the very first day that you have the laptop?

2- If this worked fine before, do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?

3- When these issues happen, is there any error message? Perhaps on the Windows notification area or in Device Manager?

4- Regarding the speed behavior:

• Have you checked if this issue happens testing only the laptop and the router? (no other wireless devices connected to the wireless network during this test).
  • How far are you from the router? Are there any objects/walls blocking a straight sight to the device or anything that may cause interference (e.g. wireless phones, microwaves, etc.)?

5- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Maybe one that is AX compatible? Have you rebooted your access point, router, modem? Please provide details.

6- Router / Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

7- Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the laptop?

8- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello jackyjoy123

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

MooMin
Beginner

Ni Andy, can I please ask what do you expect when he has given you a very clear problem description and you then immediately bombard him with a wall of irrelevant questions?

He told you that bought a new HP Spectre and the integrated Intel AX201 Wifi that came with the notebook takes a long time to connect to his home network from sleep mode, sometimes around a minute or so until it connects to the network.

I have the same problem.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello jackyjoy123

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If further assistance is required, we also recommend checking this further with your computer manufacturer considering this is a new laptop. For your convenience, here is the link to HP* Support.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello MooMin

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that users usually provide a clear problem description; however, it is part of our process to ask for more information and detailed facts to be able to further investigate and provide the users the proper troubleshooting steps. Also, everyone's situation and environment are unique so we kindly recommend you to create a new thread to isolate your case and system configuration.

Thank you for your understanding; hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

MooMin
Beginner

Then clearly your tactic is to confuse the user or deter them from continuing with seeking support and thus you are not interested in supporting them. What a disgrace.