Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

AX201 antenna problem?

Krzysiex
Beginner

Hello;

I just wonder if it is possible to test single WiFi AX201 antenna without physical dismounting it?

Is any of your drivers support logical switch off of a given antenna?

Regards

Chris

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Krzysiex

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

Please share more information to provide recommendations:

• Is this a laptop or a desktop computer? What is the model?
  • What operating system do you use?
  • Are you planning to run a specific test?
  • Is there a specific reason why you need to disable the antenna?

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Krzysiex
Beginner

Hello David;

The whole story is as follows:

I have got Asus laptop (UX425JA) and it has a terribly weak WiFi signal. I live in a house, and downstairs where all other my equipment shows about -60 dBm this laptop shows -80dbm. Laptop is brand new and I have send it to Asus support (actually three times!) wihtout any effect. They claim their tests run smoothly and there is nothing wrong with my laptop. I belive they are completely wrong and I can prove it (see attached photo).

But lately they say they tested every single antenna of my laptop (without opeinig it) and even send me the results. According to them one antenna has one signal level, and second has another one. So I became curious: are they kidding me? Is it possible to test SINGLE antenna without opening laptop?

So it is the core of my question: is Asus service credible?

Regards

Chris

P.S.

On a photo you see: Asus laptop on the left (-80), HP Elitebook laptop (-61) and HTC U11 smartfon (-58) on the right. Both laptops has Win10 with all the newest firmware, software and patches. But I also have got more pictures with older laptops (Acer and even 15 years old HP Mini) and they all show about -60 dBm signal in this place.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Chris,

The WiFi adapter in your laptop is a two band adapter. Did you tried the 2.4GHz band or 5GHz band? On both frequencies the reception is equally poor? FYI, one antenna is serving the 5GHz band, while the other 2.4GHz + Bluetooth. So, in my opinion you may check single antenna without opening the laptop.

Leon

Krzysiex
Beginner

Hi Leon;

Thank you for your suggestion.

Maybe service answer is really about band and they name it "antenna"? But I am not sure if there is one-to-one relationship between antennas and bands.

My router works in 2,4GHz and there is no need to change it. Everything in my network (laptops, smartfones, smart TV, filters or even washing mashine) works fine - except the newest Asus laptop.

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As Leon said, there will be two antennas in the laptop, one for the 5GHz WiFi band and one for the 2.4GHz WiFi Band and Bluetooth.

You say that you are having poor reception. This can be the result of a number of issues:

1. The WiFi adapter has failed. In this case, you contact your laptop vendor for replacement even if it is an Intel component.
  2. The antenna wire has been disconnected from the WiFi adapter. Make sure both antenna wires are properly connected to the WiFi adapter.
  3. The antenna wire has been broken. This is a common problem in older laptops; the antenna wires are routed up into the lid. The wires can only take so many opens and closes before the wires get brittle and can break.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Krzysiex
Beginner

Hi Scott,

thanks for suggestions.

Ad. 1. I have already send laptop to Asus service. And I did it THREE times. They can't find any problems...

I have never encountered such poor quality technical service until now.

Ad. 2. I can't open laptop and fix it myself, because it is brand new item and it would void my warranty.

Ad 3. As I said, laptop is brand new, I have just bougth it.

What can I do next? Is thre any possibility to send laptop to any credible service - maybe abroad?

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If they can't find any problems, then they actually tested the wireless support and verified that the antenna strength was proper. If they cannot fully and properly verify that they did that, then they didn't actually test the wireless. I would send it back to them again and demand that they replace the laptop if they cannot fix it. That is all you can do. Be prepared to sue them if they do not comply.

...S

0 Kudos
Krzysiex
Beginner

I am going to do that. It will be the fourth trial. How long could it last?

I have bought this laptop on September 2020. From March 2021 laptop is practically in hands of Asus service.

Have you got any idea how their technical service is organised? Is there any QA department? Is local service supervised by any mean?

Chris

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I can only suggest that you attempt to contact Asus at the corporate level. Good luck; this is not an easy thing to accomplish. Use the consumer protection laws in your country against them.

...S

0 Kudos
Krzysiex
Beginner

I would love to, but there is no easy way to find them.

You can find contact with their PR or investment service on corporate level, but everything else they seem to direct to local branch.  So it is just a bit longer way to the same people who are joyfully claiming: "it works for me...".

It realy strange to me. Do they try to avoid WiFi card exchange? Its cost is about 9$...??? It looks crazy.

Regards

Chris 

0 Kudos