Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AX201 keeps being a problem, why are guys still selling it?

MariAX201never
Beginner

Hello all!! Just got my new brand computer DELL with the AX201 6 (item number 555-BFTQ) last Friday, 12/02/2021, and the wifi is absolutely unstable. Since then I have spent hours on the Internet in many forums and I could see the massive load of people having issues with the AX201, and I am wondering why Intel keeps selling it. In the beginning, WiFi wasn´t working at all, so I got the driver updated to the 22.20.0.6 version and it starts to work better and I was able to download basic things like Adobe reader or Chrome, but no Youtube videos. So I followed the instructions in a forum on DELL`s website - one can Google: "Intermittent, Slow or No Wi-Fi Connection On Certain Dell Systems with an Intel AX200, AX201 or Killer 1650 Wireless Card | Dell Deutschland" (I installed a Killer wireless card driver) - and videos on youtube started to work super well. But today I´ve tried to have an online class on Zoom and it messed up totally the progress that I've done until now. The meeting was impossible, Zoom app close and open several times, with the message "Your network bandwidth is low". I've already changed the Property 802.11n/ac/ax to 802.11ac but it seems it doesn't change much of the situation of the online meeting. My idea is to return this computer, as DELL support has already said that they can help with that, so if you have a way to help soon let me know. I thank you for your attention, Mariana

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mariax201never,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

Since your issue is regarding our wireless product, AX201 , we need to route this thread to the correct group so you will be better assisted by the proper team.

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

MariAX201never, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to what you mentioned, "why Intel keeps selling it", just to let you know, as you can see that there are reports about customers stating they have problems with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 card, there is another big portion that reports that Intel® Wireless card works great and that they did not have any kind of problem with it.

We always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform, when we are talking about a laptop, keep in mind that everything is customized by them, including the integration of the Wireless card, the Wireless driver, the BIOS settings and the whole configuration for the proper functionality of the Wireless connection.

I looked on Dell's web site and I did not found the model number: 555-BFTQ that you gave us, so for us to be able to further assist you with this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop?

What is the model of the Router?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MariAX201never
Beginner

Hello Albert,

Thanks for your answer.

Please follow below the answers to your questions:

What is the model of the laptop?

DELL Inspiron 7400 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 1.69 GHz

What is the model of the Router?

Network Adapter AX201 160 MGH

Router in my place Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7240

Is this a new computer?

Yes

When did you purchase it?

30/01/2021, received in 12/02/2021

Was it working fine before?

It never worked fine, as explained in my previous message, in the first day it was not working at all, now, after many installations, it is better but online meetings of any kind are impossible, zoom, Google Meetings, etc.

When did the issue start?

Since the first day I opened

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

I followed the support on DELL's website, basically, run the BIOS, then installed the newest driver of the AX201, and the two killers

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

It came installed on the computer

Which Windows* version are you using?

Windows 10

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Home, I am doing everything from home now

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

Please find it attached.

I hope to hear from you soon, all the best,

Mariana

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Your most recent post gives provides the most revealing part of the puzzle. You are using a Fritz!box wireless. There are numerous posts on this forum where users with Fritz!box units have no end of Wi-Fi trouble. There never has been a solution that worked well with those units. And just so you don't blame Intel for not working with everything that exists, there are times when a combination of router and Wi-Fi client just won't work. I had a smart thermostat that couldn't find a Linksys router. A friend's wife had a MacBook that couldn't connect to the house Wi-Fi router, and they had to add a different wireless router just for the MacBook.

You can add an external wireless router and use that as your access point, and disable the wireless in the Fritz!box, keeping it as your WAN link. You are likely to get better functionality that way. For example, port forwarding, and even Wi-Fi 6, AX wireless.

I'm not bashing Fritz!box. But I assure you that if you scan this forum, you will find numerous threads dealing with the same exact issue.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MariAX201never, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously by Khun_Doug was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MariAX201never, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos